Daily Current Affairs 10th December, 2016
India, Vietnam sign Civil Nuclear deal, three other agreements
- India and Vietnam have signed a civil nuclear cooperation agreement,becoming the 14th country with which India has signed the civil nuclear deal.
- The two countries also signed three other agreements — to enhance aviation links, to jointly work in the area of energy efficiency and promotion of parliamentary cooperation.
- These agreements will enhance aviation links, cooperation in the area of energy efficiency and promotion of parliamentary cooperation between both countries. Vietnam also extended invitation to India to explore energy in South China Sea (SCS).
Union Government launches DigiShala TV channel to promote digital payments
- It has been launched by The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) to promote cashless transaction in rural areas.
- he government also initiated ‘Digi Dhan Abhiyan’ to achieve the objective of educating, enabling and informing citizens about the cashless economy.
- DigiShala is dedicated 24*7 and 365 days free-to-air TV channel to inform citizens about digital payment ecosystem, benefits and processes.
Plastic notes will help beat counterfeiting
- The government has decided to print banknotes based on a plastic or polymer substratein order to make counterfeiting them more difficult.
- The Reserve Bank for long has been planning to launch plastic currency note after field trials.
- In February 2014, the government had informed Parliament that one billion plastic notes of Rs 10 denomination would be introduced in a field trial in five cities selected for their geographical and climatic diversity.
- The selected cities were Kochi, Mysore, Jaipur, Shimla and Bhubaneswar.
- Plastic notes have an average life span of about five years and are difficult to imitate. Also, currency notes made of plastic are cleaner than paper ones.
- Such notes were first introduced in Australia to safeguard against counterfeiting.
SCIENCE AND TECH
Japan launches Kounotori 6 cargo spaceship to ISS
- Japan has successfully launched a rocket carrying the unmanned cargo spaceship Kounotori 6 to deliver supplies for astronauts living in the International Space Station (ISS).
- The H-2B rocket carrying the spaceship lifted off from the Tanegashima Space Centre in Kagoshima Prefecture, southwestern Japan.
- It will deliver a large magnetic tether, a space junk collector technology into orbit.
- The spaceship, sixth of its kind, carries some 5.9 tonnes of supplies, including food, drinking water and other necessities, as well as some batteries and ultrasmall satellites.
Human Rights Day: 10 December
- The Human Rights Day is observed across the world on 10 December every year.
- The day aims at promoting and raising awareness of the two Covenants of Human Rights Day.
- 2016 Theme: “Stand up for someone’s rights today”
About Human Rights Day
- Human Rights Day is observed every year on 10 December.
- It commemorates the day on which, in 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- In 1950, the Assembly passed resolution 423 (V), inviting all States and interested organizations to observe 10 December of each year as Human Rights Day.
Peter Gilchrist wins the Long Up title of 2016 IBSF World Billiards in Bengaluru
- Peter Gilchrist of Singapore defeated Sourav Kothari to win the 2016 IBSF World Billiards Long Up