Daily Current Affairs 10th February, 2017
HRD ministry constitute sub-committee of CABE on issues of girl’s education
- The Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has constituted a sub-committee of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) to look into issues of girl’s education.
- It will be headed by Telangana’s Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Kadiyam Srihari.
Union Commerce Ministry approves Revenue Insurance Scheme for Plantation Crops
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has launched pilot Revenue Insurance Scheme for Plantation Crops (RISPC) for protecting the growers from the risks such as pest attacks, yield loss and income decline caused by fall in prices.
SEBI to form panel to facilitate crowdfunding
- The Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) is forming an advisory committee on financial technology or fintech-related issues, which would look at safeguards that can be put in place to facilitate crowdfunding of ‘genuine’ ventures and mobilise more household savings into the financial markets.
- The committee will help to address the issues and mobilise domestic savings, which will spur growth of the economy.
- It will help mobilise savings through technology solutions.
- The committee will examine the best way forward to facilitate crowdfunding of genuine ventures.
India to pitch Trade Facilitation in Services at WTO
- India will make a presentation on the proposed Trade Facilitation in Services (TFS) Agreement to World Trade Organisation (WTO) Director General Roberto Azevedo and India Inc.
- The global pact proposed by India to boost services trade at the WTO-level aims to ease norms including those relating to movement of foreign skilled workers and professionals across borders for short-term work.
RBI to set up committee on strengthening cyber security
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to set up an inter-disciplinary Standing Committee on cyber security to examine various threats and suggest measures to deal with it.
Jharkhand Government launches UJALA scheme
- Jharkhand Government has launched Unnat Jeevan by Affordable LEDs and Appliances for All (UJALA) scheme in the state.
- Under this scheme, 25 lakh LED tube lights and 1 lakh energy efficient fans will be distributed to people on upfront payment.
- It is estimated that over 5.5 lakh consumers will benefit from the scheme in the state.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Indian-origin neurosurgeon Shawna Pandya shortlisted for NASA 2018 space mission
- An Indian-origin neurosurgeon Dr Shawna Pandya (32) has been shortlisted by NASA for its 2018 space mission under the Citizen Science Astronaut (CSA) programme. She was shortlisted after securing top score in the CSA programme.
Hemant Bhargava appointed as LIC’s MD
- Hemant Bhargava has appointed as Managing Director of state-owned Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India.
Official mascot of FIFA U-17 World Cup ‘Kheleao’ unveiled
- With just 238 days remaining for the start of FIFA Under-17 World Cup India 2017, the official mascot of the tournament ‘Kheleao’ was unveiled at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on 10th February 2017.
- The clouded leopard is an endangered wild cat whose habitat extends from the Himalayan foothills to mainland Southeast Asia.
Kohli record for most Test 150`s by an Indian captain
- Virat Kohli recorded his sixth Test 150, against Bangladesh at Hyderabad on 10th February 2017, to set the record for most 150-plus scores by an Indian captain in Tests.
- Kohli went past Sunil Gavaskar and Mohammad Azharuddin, who both have five 150-plus Test scores each as captain.