Daily Current Affairs 10th January, 2017
Digi Dhan Mela organizes in Chandigarh begins
- A Digi Dhan Mela has been organized in Chandigarh to promote digital transactions.
- In this unique meal, many visitors including housewives, students and shopkeepers are getting training in the Digital Pathshala where experts of financial institutions are explaining everything through demonstrations.
Scheme to skill Indian youth seeking jobs abroad
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on the sidelines of the 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention, has announced a scheme to skill Indian youth seeking jobs abroad- Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY).
- The Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY) is aimed at skilling Indians seeking employment abroad.
- The programme is also aimed at boosting the confidence of the Indian youth so that they don’t feel like strangers when they land in a country of their choice for vocation.
- PKVY will train and certify Indians, who are keen on overseas employment in select sectors, in line with international standards.
- It will be implemented by the National Skill Development Corporation through its training partners and in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs and the Skill Development Ministry.
World’s Largest LED Street Lighting Programme to the Nation:
- Union Minister of Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Shri Piyush Goyal recently dedicated the LED based Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP), currently running in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area, to the Nation.
- It is the World’s Largest Street Light Replacement Programme, which is being implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture under the Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- The SLNP programme is presently running in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
Maharashtra govt launches India’s largest WiFi service
- Maharashtra government has launched India’s largest public WiFi service called ‘MumbaiWifi‘.
- The facility, inaugurated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai and initially provide 500 Wifi hotspots across various locations like Vidhan Bhawan, Kalanagar in Bandra, Bombay High Court, and Mumbai Police Commissioner’s office.
Khanderi, the second Scorpene submarine under Project-75 being built at Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL) in Mumbai is all set to be launched.
- Khanderi is named after the Island fort of Maratha forces, which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.
- The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine include superior stealth and the ability to launch a crippling attack on the enemy using precision guided weapons. The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, whilst underwater or on surface. The stealth features will give it an invulnerability, unmatched by many submarines.
11th World Hindi Day:10 January
- The 11th World Hindi Day was celebrated on 10 January 2016. To mark the occasion, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) through its missions/posts abroad and the Department of Official Language (Rajbhasha) conducted special events to spread the greatness of the language.
- The Hindi language is not only spoken by Indians across the globe but it celebrated by people internationally. And, today (10th January 2017), we are observing World Hindi Day honor this Indo-Aryan language.
Amitabh Bachchan presented with US embassy award for fight against Tuberculosis
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan was given an award by the US Embassy in appreciation for his invaluable contributions to the US-India partnership on tuberculosis.
2017 Golden Globe Awards
- The 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards ceremony was organized at Beverly Hills, California, United States (US). The Golden Globe Awards are the annual awards that honor the best in Motion Pictures and American Television for the previous year.
- This year, La La Land, a romantic musical comedy-drama film won in all the seven categories including the top award of best musical or comedy.
- Veteran actress Meryl Streep was bestowed with the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award.
Eight-year old Kashmiri boy Abbu Ammaz becomes national boxing champion
- An eight-year old boy from Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri Abbu Ammaz has won gold medal in Thai Boxing Championship at the national level.
Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri named as FIFA Coach of the Year 2016
- Leicester City boss Claudio Ranieri has been named as the Coach of the Year at the FIFA Football Awards in Zurich.