Daily Current Affairs 11th April, 2017
Survey General of India Completes 250 Years
- The Survey General of India (SOI) completes 250 years.
- The government launched ‘Nakshe mapping portal’ a dedicated website allowing the access to the public to download 3,000 maps or Open Series Maps (OSM) in a pdf format on 1:50,000 scale prepared by the Survey of India (SOI) but made Aadhaar mandatory for the purpose.
- Harsh Vardhan, minister of science and technology, stated that the motto behind making Aadhaar mandatory for using this service was to make it available only to Indians.
About Survey General of India
- It was set up in 1767 and has evolved rich traditions over the years.
- In its assigned role as the Nation’s principal mapping agency, Survey of India bears a special responsibility to ensure that the country’s domain is explored and mapped suitably to provide base maps for expeditious and integrated development and ensure that all resources contribute their full measure to the progress, prosperity and security of our country now and for generations to come.
- The Survey of India acts as adviser to the Government of India on all survey matters, viz Geodesy, Photogrammetry, Mapping and Map Reproduction.The Surveyor General of India is the Head of Department of Survey of India, a Department under the Ministry of Science and Technology of Government of India.
- He also happens to be the senior most member of the Survey of India Service, an organized engineering service under the Union of India.
- Major James Rennel was the first Surveyor General of Bengal Presidency (1767-1777)
- Lt Gen Charles Reynolds was the first Surveyor General of the Bombay Presidency(1796-1807)
- Col Colin Mackenzie was the first Surveyor General of Madras (1810-1815) and the first Surveyor General of India (1815-1821)
- The current Surveyor General is Dr. Swarna Subba Rao
ECONOMY, BANKING AND FINANCE
Manappuram Finance to launch co-branded prepaid card with YES Bank
- Kerala-based NBFC Manappuram Finance will launch its own co-branded prepaid card in the tie-up with YES Bank to promote digital financial transactions.
- The ‘Manappuram YES Bank Prepaid Money Card’ can be pre-loaded up to a maximum amount of Rs. 50,000 and then be used to withdraw money from all ATMs. As the card works on the popular MasterCard and RuPay networks, it can also be used for online transactions and at merchant establishments with PoS terminals.
Align pay in PSBs to that in CPSEs: BBB
- The Bank Board Bureau (BBB) has recommended that Government should bring in reforms in the compensation process in public sector banks (PSBs) on the lines of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs). BBB has suggested compensation reforms in PSBs so that best practices can be introduced ‘on the lines already prevalent in CPSEs.
- It will play important role in attracting high-quality talent for non-executive directors and chairmen.
- It will also maintain a level-playing field with the private sector with respect to role, responsibility and remuneration.
Fino Paytech inks deal with ICICI group companies
- Fino Paytech, which just received the Reserve Bank of India’s licence to launch a payments bank, has inked a deal with ICICI group companies to distribute insurance products and tied up with Exide Life insurance to sell products via its distribution channel.
- Fino Payments Bank will sell life and general insurance products of ICICI Prudential and ICICI Lombard.
Atu Zumvu becomes first Naga cop to receive ‘Shaurya Chakra’ award
- For the first time since Nagaland officially gained recognition as a state, a state Police Officer Atu Zumvu has been awarded one of the nations’ military honour, ‘Shaurya Chakra’ award at a ceremony held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Nagaland attained statehood in 1963 and since then this is the first time a police officer from the state has been honored with this award.
Colson Whitehead wins 2017 Pulitzer Prize for ‘Underground Railroad’
- Colson Whitehead’s celebrated novel The Underground Railroad has won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- The novel is about an escaped slave that combined liberating imagination and brutal reality.
- Earlier in November 2016, the novel had received the National Book Award of US. This makes Colson Whitehead first person to win Pulitzer and National Book Award for fiction in last 20 years.
Kristin Davis appointed UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador
- UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, announced the appointment of internationally acclaimed actress and philanthropist Kristin Davis as its Goodwill Ambassador.
- UNHCR Goodwill Ambassadors are celebrity representatives of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) who use their talent and fame to advocate for refugees.
Malvika Sinha appointed RBI Executive Director
- The Reserve Bank has appointed Malvika Sinha as Executive Director following the appointment of B P Kanungo as Deputy Governor.
- As Executive Director, she will look after foreign exchange department, department of government and bank accounts and internal debt management wing, RBI stated in a release.
Ajit Kumar Srivastava, Shabri Bhattasali named new CBDT members
- Senior bureaucrats Ajit Kumar Srivastava and Shabri Bhattasali were appointed members of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the apex policy making body of the Income Tax department.
- The CBDT functions under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963. CBDT has introduced the Electronic PAN (e-PAN) card for individuals and for 19,704 newly incorporated companies as it tied up with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
Mukta Dutta Tomar appointed India’s Ambassador to Germany
- Mukta Dutta Tomar has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Federal Republic of Germany.
- She is presently Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs. Earlier, Gurjit Singh was holding this post till in March 2017.