Daily Current Affairs 11th February, 2017
Govt clears single exam for engineering and architecture across India from 2018
- Admission to all engineering colleges in the country will be done through a single entrance examination from next year (2018), the government stated doing away with multiple tests conducted by central agencies, state governments and private institutions.
- A single test for engineering, as well as architecture courses, will be on lines of the National Eligibility-Cum-Entrance Test (NEET), a single, all-India test for entry to medical and dental colleges launched in 2016.
Task force set up to check tax evasion by deviant shell firms
- In the latest move to curb tax evasion, the government has set up a task force to monitor actions of deviant shell companies.
India ranks 43rd out of 45 nations in 2017 International Intellectual Property Index
- India ranked low 43rd among the surveyed 45 nations in 2017 International Intellectual Property Index (IIPI).
- In this edition, India is just above Pakistan (44th) and Venezuela (45th).
- The fifth annual index was released by US Chamber of Commerce’s Global Intellectual Property Centre (GIPC) in its report titled ‘The Roots of Innovation’.
Piyush Goyal Launches TAMRA Portal and Mobile Application for Transparency in Statutory Clearances for Mining Operations
- The Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Shri Piyush Goyal launched the TAMRA (Transparency, Auction Monitoring and Resource Augmentation) portal and Mobile Application in New Delhi.
- TAMRA Portal and Mobile Application aims to enhance the transparency and Piyush Goyalaccountability in the mining sector as a part of the Ease of Doing Business.
Pakistan’s naval exercise Aman 2017 begins in Karachi
- The Pakistan Navy has kicked of its biannually-held multinational AMAN 2017 naval exercise in Karachi, Pakistan. 37 countries are participating in the international event.
- Aman-17 is the fifth edition such exercise which Pakistan has been holding biannually since 2007.
- Previous exercises were held in 2007, 2009, 20011, and 2013, and 2016 respectively.
Government to set up Defence Procurement Organisation
- The Union Government is planning to set up a Defence Procurement Organisation (DPO), new procurement body to integrate and streamline the long and arduous process of defence acquisitions.
- The DPO will be a vertical under the Union Defence Ministry. It will simplify the defence purchase procedure by integrating procurement processes.
February 10: National Deworming Day
- The National Deworming Day is observed every year on February 10 with main objective to combat parasitic worm infections among preschool and school-age children across India.
- This year it is third edition of the observance of this day after it was launched in 2015 by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- The goal of the day is to deworm all preschool and school-age children between the ages of 1-19 years in order to improve their overall health, cognitive development, nutritional status and quality of life.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Sudarsan Pattnaik creates Guinness World Record by creating 48.8 feet tall sand castle
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has created a Guinness World Record by creating a 48.8 feet tall sand castle at Puri beach in Odisha.
- The record-breaking sculpture was built with a message of world peace, and featured sculptures of Mahatma Gandhi, Gautama Buddha and Nelson Mandela.
Govt. appoints IAS officer Ajay Tyagi as SEBI chief for 5 years
- Senior Finance Ministry official Ajay Tyagi has appointed as chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- He will succeed U K Sinha, whose extended tenure ends on 01st March 2017.
Sports Ministry Launches Mission XI Million in New Delhi
- The Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goyal launched the Mission XI Million, the biggest school sport outreach programme, in New Delhi in the presence of President of AIFF Shri Praful Patel.