Daily Current Affairs 11th March, 2017
Himachal launches mobile app ‘Mera Hunar HP’ for job-seeker
- Virbhadra Singh led Himachal Pradesh government has launched mobile app and website titled ‘MeraHunar HP’ or ‘My Talent’ to help skilled and semi-skilled workers find jobs.
- The mobile app will connect prospective employers with job aspirants as the latter’s resume will contain addresses and contact numbers.
- This initiative will foster the skill development scheme and be of great help to pass-outs of industrial training institutes also make available real-time employment data of the state.
Rajya Sabha Passes Enemy Property Amendment Bill
- Rajya Sabha passed a bill on March 10, 2017 by voice vote to amend a 49-year-old law regarding claims of succession or transfer of properties left by people who migrated to Pakistan and China in the 1960s or later .
- The Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2016, which amends the Enemy Property Act, 1968, was passed in the Rajya Sabha to vest all rights, titles and interests over enemy property in the Custodian.
- The bill was passed by the Lok Sabha in March 2016 after which the Rajya Sabha had sent it to a select committee, upon whose recommendations the government had moved a number of amendments to it.
- Finally, after the amended bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha it was returned to the Lok Sabha for final passage.
Salient Features of the Bill
- The bill amends the definition of “enemy” and “enemy subject” to include the legal heir(s) or successor(s) of the enemy, even if the latter is a citizen of India or a non-enemy country.
- It declares transfer of enemy property by the enemy, conducted under the Act, to be void. This applies retrospectively to transfers that have occurred before or after 1968.
- The Bill prohibits civil courts and other authorities from entertaining disputes related to enemy property. It does not provide any alternative judicial remedy.
- According to the new bill, the law of succession will not apply to the legal heir(s) or successor(s) of the enemy.
of Uttar P2017 Assembly Election Resultsradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur
- The Assembly Elections in the five states- Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur were considered the first big test for the BJP after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s demonetisation drive, which wiped out 86 per cent of currency from the nation’s economy.
- While the Narendra Modi led BJP got a majority win in Uttar Pradesh which is considered as one of India’s most electorally crucial states, and snatched Uttarakhand from Congress, it suffered a loss in Punjab where its alliance with SAD was voted out of power.
- Bhartiya Janta Party(BJP) emerged victorious in state election of Uttar Pradesh.
- The BJP performed far better than expected to win 57 of the 70 constituencies in Uttarakhand
- Congress’ candidates have won in 77 seats in the 117 member Punjab Assembly to get a majority win.
- Though none of the political parties managed to reach the majority mark of 31 for securing majority win in Manipur assembly polls, Congress and BJP were racing neck and neck.
- Congress emerged as the single largest party in Goa. .
Google acquires Kaggle for undisclosed amount to boost data play
- Technology giant Google has announced the acquisition of Kaggle, a start-up that hosts a number of data scientists, for an undisclosed amount at the Cloud Next 2017 conference.
- Kaggle and Google Cloud will continue to support machine learning training and deployment services while offering the community the ability to store and query large datasets.
Germany’s KfW signed loan agreement with EESL and SBI
- The German Development Bank (KfW) and Uttar Pradesh based Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) has signed a loan agreement for €200 million with a four year moratorium and a 12-year repayment period.
- This funds will be utilised for the planned expansion across all its portfolios of energy efficient products and services.
- Mumbai based State Bank of India(SBI) also signed an agreement with German KfW Development Bank for USD 274 million loan facility a maturity of 15 years to finance affordable housing segment in India.
Karnataka Bank, BAGICL sign MoU on general insurance business
- Mangalore based Karnataka Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Pune based Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company for General Insurance business on March 10, 2017
- With this, Karnataka bank would be able to provide vast choice of non-life insurance Karnataka Bank, BAGICL sign MoU on general insurance businessproducts to its customers. This partnership will boost the growth of both organizations.
Another river-linking project on cards
- After successful linkage between the Godavari and Krishna rivers through the Pattiseema project, now the Andhra Pradesh government is embarking on linking the Godavari with the Penna.
- In this regard, highly advanced LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) Survey will be taken up by Water and Power Consultancy Services (India) Limited (WAPCOS) to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) for supplying Godavari water directly to Rayalaseema.
- The project envisages transporting 20 tmcft from Godavari River to two reservoirs – the existing Somasila Reservoir in the Penna river basin and a new reservoir at Bollapalli.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Mass coral bleaching occurring in Great Barrier Reef for second year
- Great Barrier Reef in Australia’s eastern coast is experiencing an unprecedented second straight year of mass coral bleaching. This is for the first time Great Barrier Reef has bleached two years in sequence.
- Earlier in March and April 2016, 2,300-km reef suffered had its most severe bleaching on record due to warming sea temperatures.
- Bleaching occurs when abnormal environmental conditions, such as warmer sea temperatures, cause corals to expel tiny photosynthetic algae, draining them of their colour. Corals can recover if the water temperature drops and the algae are able to recolonise them.
IBM Researchers Creates World’s Smallest Magnet to Store Single Bit Data
- A team of researchers at IBM has created the world’s smallest magnet using a single atom which can store one bit of data on it.Currently, hard disk drives use about 100,000 atoms to store a single bit.
- The IBM scientists used a scanning tunneling microscope (STM) to build and measure isolated single-atom bits using the holmium atoms.
- Then, they used an electrical current to write and read binary data (1s and 0s) on the atom.
NASA scientists found lost Chandrayaan-1 orbiting Moon
- Scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) have found India’s first lunar probe, Chandrayaan-1 which was considered lost, is still orbiting the moon. They also have found NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO).
- The ISRO lost communication with Chandrayaan-1 on August 29, 2009, almost a year after it was launched on October 22, 2008.
- The unmanned spacecraft is still circling some 200 km in the polar orbit around the moon.
Four States come together for elephant census
- For the first time in India, four states Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand have decided to conduct a synchronised elephant census in May 2017.
- These four together have the maximum number of human-elephant conflict-prone regions in India.
- The four States together have the maximum number of human-elephant conflict-prone regions in India.
- The census will be conducted based on an identical set of rules by all the 4 states and using the direct and indirect counting methods.
- The direct counting method is based on sighting of elephants while the indirect method uses the ‘dung decay’ formula, in which the analysis of elephant dung is used to estimate the population
- As per the 2015 census, Odisha has 1,954 elephants while Jharkhand has 700, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal had approximately 275 and 130 elephants, respectively.
Venkaiah Naidu Inaugurates India’s Largest Waste-To-Power Plant in New Delhi
- The North Delhi Municipal Corporation launched India’s largest municipal waste-to-power plant at Narela-Bawana in New Delhi on March 10, 2017.
- The 24 megawatt (MW) Narela-Bawana waste-to-energy plant was inaugurated by the Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu at the Civic Centre.
- The project has been developed on public private partnership model by Ramky Group, a Hyderabad-based waste management company, in collaboration with the North Corporation.
Chemistry Nobel laureate George Olah dies aged 89
- Hungarian–American chemist George Olah was passed away in in Beverly Hills, USA. He is 89.
- Olah received the chemistry Nobel prize for his work on carbocations in 1994.
- He also won the Széchenyi Grand Prize of Hungary and the American Chemical Society’s Priestley Medal.
About Carbocation :
- A carbocation is molecule in which a carbon atom bears three bonds and a positive charge.
- Positively charged hydrocarbons such as methane could be stabilised using superacids, which allowed them to be prepared and studied using NMR and IR spectroscopy.
- This transformed the field of carbocation chemistry and it will produce important organic compounds
South African Surfer Makes World’s First Atlantic Crossing On Paddleboard
- Chris Bertish, a South African surfer and a sailor became the first person in the world on March 9, 2017 to cross the Atlantic Ocean on a stand-up paddleboard after completing an epic 4,050-mile voyage alone at sea.
- 42 year old Bertish began his journey from Agadir, Morocco 93 days ago on December 6 and arrived at English Harbour, Antigua in the Leeward Islands of the Caribbean on March 9, 2017.