Daily Current Affairs 12th October, 2016
First World Tsunami Awareness Day to be observed on Nov 5
- It will be observed during the upcoming Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2016 in Delhi between November 2-5.
- The region is more prone to earthquakes and tsunamis,with the Japan tsumani of 2011 being the most devastating one till date in recorded history.
About 2011 Tsunami of Japan
- Where–Pacific coast of Tōhok
- Magnitude-0 undersea megathrust earthquake
- When- 11 March 2011, with the epicentreapproximately 70 kilometres (43 mi) east of the Oshika Peninsula of Tōhoku and the hypocenter at an underwater depth of approximately 30 km (19 mi).
Telangana gets 21 new districts
- Nearly two-and-half years after it came into existence as India’s 29th state, Telangana’s map was redrawn on 11 October 2016 with the creation of 21 new districts.
- With these, the total number of districts of the youngest state of India went up to 31.
R Ashwin regains No. 1 spot in Test rankings
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin today reclaimed the number one spot in Test rankings for bowlers following a career-best match haul of 13 for 140 in the third Test against New Zealand in Indore.
Global hunger index: 2016
- India ranked 97th out of 118 countries on the International Food Policy Research Institute’s (IFPRI) Global Hunger Index (GHI) in 2016, behind Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, among others, but ahead of Pakistan and three other Asian countries.
- It was positioned at 80 out of 104 countries the previous year.
- The Central African Republic, Chad, and Zambia had the highest levels of hunger in the report.
- Seven countries had “alarming” levels of hunger, while 43 countries – including high-population countries like India, Nigeria, and Indonesia – had “serious” hunger levels.
Morocco king reappoints Abdelilah Benkirane as PM
- Abdelilah Benkirane, the leader of Morocco’s Islamic Justice and Development Party, has been appointed for another term as the country’s prime minister.
- This will be his second term as Prime Minister of Morocco.
- Capital – Rabat
- Largest city – Casablanca
- Official languages – Arabic Tamazight
- Native languages – Moroccan dialect
- – Hassaniya Arabic
- – Tamazight
- Currency – Moroccan dirham
Sir Ian McKellen honoured at UK Theatre Awards
- Veteran actor Ian McKellen was honoured at the UK Theatre Awards that took place on October 9 in London for his individual contributions to British theatre.
McKellen was honoured with the Outstanding Contribution to British Theatre prize.
- Established in 1991, they are presented annually by UK Theatre in recognition of creative excellence.
First BRICS Trade Fair and Exhibition begins in Delhi today ahead of the BRICS political summit in Goa.
- The fair is a platform for respective BRICS countries, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa to exhibit state-of-the-art technologies and advances made in industrial development.
India now the 12th largest holder of US govt bonds
- India’s holdings of the US government bonds touched a high of $123.7 billion in July, making it the 12th largest holder, US Treasury Department’s latest data showed.
- A bond is an instrument of indebtedness of the bond issuer to the holders.
- The most common types of bonds include municipal bonds and corporate bonds.
- A debt security under which the issuer owes the holders a debt and, depending on the terms of the bond, is obliged to pay them interest (the coupon) and/or to repay the principal at a later date, termed the maturity date.
Kabaddi WC venue is India’s 1st convertible stadium
- The Arena by TransStadia in Ahmedabad, venue of the ongoing Kabaddi World Cup, is India’s first convertible stadium.
- The Rs. 550 crore project converts an outdoor stadium into an indoor arena in 6 minutes at a touch of a button.
Oscar-winning Polish film director Wajda dies aged 90
- Oscar-winning Film director Andrzej Wajda, best known for chronicling Poland’s struggle for democracy during half a century of communist rule, has died at the age of 90.
- He is the recipient of an Honorary Oscar and the Palme d’Or and was a prominent member of the “Polish Film School”