Daily Current Affairs 13th February, 2017
‘Indradhanush 2.0’ on anvil for recapitalization of PSBs
- Government plans to come out with ‘Indradhanush 2.0’, a comprehensive plan for recapitalisation of public sector lenders, with a view to make sure they remain solvent and fully comply with the global capital adequacy norms, Basel-III.
- ‘Indradhanush 2.0’ will be finalised after completion of the Asset Quality Review (AQR) by the Reserve Bank, which is likely to be completed by March-end.
- Launched on 14thAugust 2015 by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to revamp functioning of Public Sector Banks
- It is a 7 pronged programme which include include appointments, board of bureau, capitalisation, de-stressing, empowerment, framework of accountability and governance reforms. (A2G).
- Banks board of bureau will replace existing appointments board. Its members would be appointed in the next six months to be headed by the RBI governnor.
- Banks board bureau would also hold bad assets of public sector banks.
- Under recapitalisation plans for Public Sector Banks, 13 banks would get Rs 20,058 crore this financial year. The rest Rs 5,000 crore would be allocated based on efficiency criteria.
- SBI will get the highest Rs 5,511 cr, followed by Bank of India at Rs 2,455 cr, IDBI at Rs 2,229 cr, PNB at Rs 1732 cr and IOB at Rs 2009 cr.
- In line with the plan, public sector banks were given Rs 25,000 crore in 2015-16, and similar amount has been earmarked for the current fiscal.
- Besides, Rs 10,000 crore each would be infused in 2017-18 and 2018-19.
MRPL launches skill development centre
- Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) launched a skill development centre (Kaushal Vikas Kendra) in Mangaluru.
- The centre will train 60 youths in areas such as ‘industrial electrician’ and ‘CNC operator-turning’.
- All expenses, including food, lodging, tutorial expenses, will be borne by MRPL
About Pradhan Mantri Kaushal VIkas Kendra
- Ministry -Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
- Launched -16 July 2015 ;for recognition and standardisation of skills.
- The aim of the scheme is to encourage aptitude towards employable skills and to increase working efficiency of probable and existing daily wage earners, by giving monetary awards and rewards and by providing quality training to them.
- Training programmes have been worked out on the basis of National Occupational Standards (NOS) and qualification packs specifically developed in various sectors of skills.
- For this qualification plans and quality plans have been developed by various Sector Skill Councils (SSC) created with participation of Industries.
- National Skill Development Council (NSDC)has been made coordinating and driving agency for the same.
Government Approves Setting Rs. 6,831 crore Electronics Development Fund
- The centre has approved setting up the Electronic Development Fund Tele communication Minister with a total corpus of Rs. 6,831 crore to support entrepreneurship and innovation in electronics and IT.
- The Electronic Development Fund will help to contribute to various other funds under it forthose who invest the money in companies for creation of intellectual property rights in the field of electronics and IT.
The second edition of Hunar Haath has begun in New Delhi.
- It is being organized by the Minority Affairs Ministry & Finance Corporation (NMDFC) under USTTAD (Upgrading the Skills & Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development) scheme of Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- to encourage, promote and provide national and international market to master artisans/craftsmen belonging to the Minority communities from across the country.
- The theme this time is“Craft Aur Cuisine Ka Sangam”.
Prithvi missile interceptor successfully test fired
- India successfully test-fired what is hailed as a gen-next state-of-the-art interceptor missile from a defence base off Odisha coast recently, achieving a significant milestone in its ongoing Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) programme.
- The homegrown anti-ballistic missile, dubbed Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV), travels at supersonic speed and is capable of destroying targets at a high altitude of more than 120 km in the exo-atmospheric region.
- Prithvi Defence Vehicle interceptor missile is capable of killing an incoming missile with a strike range of around 2,000 km outside the earth’s atmosphere. India is the fifth nation in the world to have a robust Ballistic Missile Defence system. Other countries are US, Russia, Israel and China.
- Both the interceptor PDV and the two-stage target missile were equipped with motors specially developed for the mission.
- In an automated operation, the radar and tracking system detected the target missile, predicted its trajectory and gave the requisite command to fire the interceptor missile.
- The interceptor guided by high accuracy Inertial Navigation System (INS) and supported by a Redundant Micro Navigation System (RMNS) moved towards the estimated point of the interception.
- After the missile crossed the atmosphere, the heat shield ejected and the infrared (IR) seeker dome opened to look at the target location as designated by the mission computer. With the help of inertial guidance and IR seeker, the missile zeroed in on the target for interception.
- From detection to interception, the entire exercise was fully automated and there was no human intervention. The PDV interceptor is a part of a multi-layered BMD system developed by India to protect its cities from hostile attacks.
- The advantage of intercepting an incoming missile at such a high altitude is that the debris would not fall on the ground and there would be no collateral damage.
February 13: World Radio Day celebrated across the world with the theme `Radio is You`
- The World Radio Day is observed every year on 13th February to celebrate radio as the medium for entertainment, information and the mode for communication.
- It is a call for greater participation of audiences and communities in the policy and planning of radio broadcasting.
- It marks global celebration of radio as a forum for information and entertainment that helps to bridge communication gap for remote communities and empowering people.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended his greetings on the World Radio Day on 13 February 2017 and stated that radio is a wonderful way to interact, learn & communicate.
Baftas 2017: full list of winners
The 70th British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards ceremony was held at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
- Best Film: La La Land Best Director: Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
- Best Actor: Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea) Best Actress: Emma Stone (La La Land)
- Best Supporting Actor: Dev Patel (Lion) Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis (Fences)
- Best Original Music: La La Land
- Best Original Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea Best Adapted Screenplay:
- Best Cinematography: La La Land Best Editing: Hacksaw Ridge
- Best British Short Film: Home
- Best British Film: I, Daniel Blake
- Best Film Not in the English Language: Son of Saul
- Best Documentary:13th
- Best Animated Film: Kubo and the Two Strings
- Best Costume Design: Jackie Best Make Up & Hair: Florence Foster Jenkins Best Sound: Arrival
- Best Special Visual Effects: The Jungle Book Best British Short Animation: A Love Story EE Rising Star Award: Tom Holland BAFTA Fellowship: Mel Brooks
- Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema: Curzon Cinemas
- Best Production Design: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Best Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: Babak Anvari (Writer/Director), Emily Leo, Oliver Roskill, Lucan Toh (Producers) for Under the Shadow
59th Grammy Awards
- The 59th Annual Grammy Awards were announced by the Recording Academy announced at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. T
- The ceremony recognized the best recordings, compositions, and artists of the eligibility year from October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016.
- In this edition of awards, British singer Adele won the most awards in 5 different categories. She also created history by becoming first artist to win the top three categories twice (for first time in 2012).
- Cello virtuoso Yo-Yo Ma won a Grammy with his Silk Road Ensemble for Sing Me Home, an exploration of the musical connections across Eurasia.
- Album of the year: 25 – Adele
- Record of the year: Hello – Adele Song of the year:
- Hello – Adele Best rap album: Chance the Rapper – Coloring
- Book Best urban contemporary album: Beyonce – Lemonade
- Best country solo performance: My Church – Maren Morris
- Best rock song: Blackstar – David Bowie
- Best pop duo/group performance: Stressed Out – Twenty One Pilots
- Best new artist: Chance the Rapper
- Best pop vocal album: Adele – 25
- Best pop solo performance: Hello – Adele
- Best R&B performance: Solange – Cranes In the Sky.
- Best R&B song: Maxwell – Lake By the Ocean
- Best rap performance: Chance The Rapper featuring Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz – No Problem.
- Best rap/sung performance: Drake – Hotline Bling.
- Best R&B album: Lalah Hathaway – Lalah Hathaway Live
- Best rap song: Drake – Hotline Bling
- Best metal performance: Megadeth – Dystopia
- Best rock performance: David Bowie – Blackstar
- Best dance recording: The Chainsmokers – Don’t Let Me Down
Sandeep Jajodia appointed ASSOCHAM president
- Monnet Ispat & Energy Ltd. CMD Sandeep Jajodia has been appointed the new president of industry chamber Assocham. Balkrishan Goenka, Chairman, Welspun Group and Kiran Kumar Grandhi, vice-chairman of GMR Infrastructure Ltd, have taken over as senior vice-president and vice-president respectively.
- Founded -1920
- Headquarters -New Delhi, India
- The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) is one of the apex trade associationsof India.
- The organisation represents the interests of trade and commerce in India, and acts as an interface between industry, government and other relevant stakeholders on policy issues and initiatives.
- The goal of this organisation is to promote both domestic and international trade, and reduce trade barriers while fostering conducive environment for the growth of trade and industry of India.
Narinder Chauhan appointed as Ambassador of India to the Republic of Philippines
- Former IFS officer Narinder Chauhan has been appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Republic of the Philippines
Diego Maradona Gets Ambassador Role at FIFA.
- The FIFA governing body has named Argentina’s former soccer player Diego Maradona as the new Ambassador of the FIFA .
- The Fédération Internationale de Football Association is the international governing body of association football, futsal, and beach soccer. President is Gianni Infantino and Headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland
Ravichandran Ashwin Becomes Fastest Bowler To Claim 250 Wickets
- Indian off-spin specialist Ravichandran Ashwin became the fastest cricketer to take 250 wickets in Test matches.
- He achieved this feat in his 45th test match against Bangladesh on 12 February 2017, when he dismissed captain of Bangladesh team Mushfiqur Rahim at the Rajiv Gandhi International stadium in Hyderabad.