Daily Current Affairs 13th May, 2017
Bahamas elects Hubert Minnis as new prime minister
- The Bahamas has elected Free National Movement’s Hubert Minnis as its new Prime Minister, defeating incumbent Progressive Liberal Party’s leader Perry Christie in a 34-5 parliamentary split.
- Capital and largest city -Nassau
- Official languages -English
- Currency -Bahamian dollar
Measures announced by the Government to curb the menace of online Child Sexual Abuse Material
- Based on the consultations of the Inter-Ministerial Committee, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MEITY) in collaboration with Ministry of Women and Child Development has issued immediate interim measures to curb the menace of Online Child Sexual Abuse Material.
- MEITY has issued this Order under Section 79(2) (c) of the Information Technology Act 2000 to curb online child sexual abuse material (CSAM).
Election Commission of India Launches National Contact Centre
- The Election Commission of India has added feather to its cap with the launch of National Contact Centre with a toll-free No. 1800111950.
- Now any citizen from any part of the country can call 24*7 on the toll-free in English or Hindi with any query or complaint at any time of the day.
- The National Contact Centre is operated on a National Grievance Redressal System Software.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
New series WPI, IIP released with base year 2011-12
- The government has released the new series of WPI and IIP with new base year of 2011-12, a long pending demand of the economists and experts.
Need for the new base year:
- The Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, revises the base year of the macroeconomic indicators, as a regular exercise, to capture structural changes in the economy and improve the quality and representativeness of the indices.
- Revisions in the IIP are necessitated to maintain representativeness of the items and producing entities and also address issues relating to continuous flow of production data. In the past, such changes were effected at the time of a revision in the base year.
- The new series of IIP will include 809 manufacturing products and 55 mining products that are re-grouped into 521 item groups.
- The new series of IIP will include technology items like smart phones, tablets, LED television etc.
- A technical review committee has also been established to identify new items by ensuring that the series remains relevant.
- The committee is slated to meet at least once a year.
- The number of items covered in the new series of the WPI has increased from 676 to 697. Overall, 199 new items have been added and 146 old items have been dropped.
- Under the primary articles, new vegetables and fruits like radish, carrot, cucumber, bitter gourd, mosambi (sweet lime), pomegranate, jackfruit, and pear have been added.
- Under the mineral group, new items like copper concentrate, lead concentrate and garnet have been added and other items like copper ore, gypsum, kaolin, dolomite, and magnesite have been dropped. Under the manufacturing items, 173 new items including conveyer belt, rubber tread, steel cables, tissue paper, and wooden splint have been added, while 135 items like khandsari, poppadom, and video CD players have been taken out.
- Under the new series of WPI, weight of manufactured items has decreased to 64.2 per cent from 64.9 per cent in old series.
- Similarly, the weight of fuel and power has decreased to 13.1 per cent from 14.9 per cent.
- On the other hand, the weight of primary items have increased to 22.6 per cent from 20.1 per cent.
Aadhaar not mandatory for PAN, ITR in J&K, Assam & Meghalaya: Govt
- The government has exempted the residents of Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Meghalaya and citizens above 80 years from mandatory quoting of Aadhaar to obtain PAN cards and file tax returns.
- As per the official notification of the Finance Ministry, the exemption has been given to an individual who does not possess the Aadhaar number or the enrolment ID. The exemption will also apply on non-residents and non-citizens.
Forex Reserves reach Life-Time High of $375.71 billion
- According to RBI, India’s foreign exchange (Forex) reserves have increased by $2.985 billion to touch a lifetime high of $375.71 billion in the week that ended on May 5.
- The increase was due to increase in foreign currency assets (FCAs). The reserves had increased by $2.474 billion to $351.53 billion in the previous week.
Derby Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range Missile:
- Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft successfully demonstrated an Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile firing capability by releasing Derby Air-to-Air BVR missile in RADAR guided mode.
- The missile launch was performed in Lock ON after Launch mode for a BVR target in the look down mode and the target was destroyed.
- Debry is developed by Israeli defence company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems to meet the combat needs of the armed forces.
- The Derby AAM can be integrated onto a variety of fighter aircraft and Mirage and is capable of engaging aerial threats from short ranges and near-beyond visual range. Derby can also be configured as a surface-to-air missile (SAM).
Rajnath Singh launches mobile app for paramilitary forces to lodge grievances
- Union home minister Rajnath Singh launched a mobile phone app ‘MHA Mobile Application‘ to remain ‘just a click away’ from troopers of all central forces to address their grievances.
- Rajnath Singh also launched a dedicated app for BSF personnel named ‘BSFMyApp’. The app provides the mechanism to address issues related to pay, provident fund, leave or deputation of the personnel. The app will also help troopers with financial literacy.
Ahmedabad to host biggest ever International Yoga Day event on June 21
- Ahmedabad in Gujarat will host biggest ever International Yoga Day event on the 21st of June announced by Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev.
- Chief Minister of Gujarat Mr. Vijay Rupani will inaugurate the event.
- The program will be conducted in partnership with Gujarat government which will also involve various social organizations.
Florence Nightingale Awards
- The President recently conferred Florence Nightingale Awards to 35 Nurses.
- The Florence Nightingale awards are given to the outstanding nursing personnel employed in Central, State/UTs.
- Nurses working in Government, Voluntary Organizations, Mission institutions and the private institutions can apply with the due recommendation of concerned State Government.
- The Florence Nightingale Awards carries Rs.50,000/- cash, a certificate, a citation certificate and a Medal.
Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat & Divya Kakran bags Silver Medals at the Asian Wrestling Championship
- Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat & Divya Kakran have bagged silver medals at the Asian Wrestling Championship held at the KD Jadhav Stadium in New Delhi.
- Though wrestler Sakshi, India’s bronze medallist at the Rio Olympics was strong in her first two rounds against Uzbekistan’s Nabira Esenbaeva and then Kazakhstan’s Ayaulym Kassymova, she was defeated by Rio Gold medallist Risako Kawai of Japan and got settled for a silver medal in the 60 kg category.
- Divya Kakran and Vinesh Phogat bagged silver in the 69 kg and 55kg categories respectively.
- In the championship, 112 freestyle,103 Greco-Roman and 83 female wrestlers are competing for 24 Gold and Silver, and 48 bronze medals. Asian Wrestling Championships are organized every year by the Asian Associated Wrestling Committee (AAWC). While the men’s wrestling tournament began in 1979, women’s tournament began in 1996