Daily Current Affairs 14th January, 2017
Ecuador takes chair of UN group of 134 developing countries
- Ecuador has taken over from Thailand as chair of the Group of 77 which promotes the interests of the 134 developing countries it represents at the United Nations, including China.
Airtel’s Payments Bank Starts Operation with Initial Investment of Rs. 3000 Crore
- Airtel Payments Bank the first payments bank started its nationwide operations on January 12, 2017 with an initial investment of Rs 3,000 crore and offering an interest rate of 7.25 per cent for savings accounts.
ART AND CULTURE
1st edition of ABU International Television Dance Festival held in Hyderabad
- The first edition of Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) International Television Dance Festival was held in Hyderabad, capital of Telangana.
- It was hosted by the Prasar Bharati.
- The countries participated in the event include Maldives, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Fiji and Indonesia.
SCIENCE AND TECH
India’s first solar-powered boat ‘Aditya’ was launched at Kochi’s Vembanad lake in Kerala.
- It will offer ferry service along a 2.5-kilometre route between Vaikom and Thavanakkadavu, 22 times a day.
- The boat can travel at a maximum speed of about 14 kmph and cruises without noise and minimal vibration, unlike the diesel ferries.
Indian pepper may fight cancer
- According to a new study, Indian long pepper, widely used for spicing up food, contains a chemical called Piperlongumine (PL) which has anti-cancer properties.
- PL converts to hPL, an active drug that silences a gene called GSTP1 which produces a detoxification enzyme that is often overly abundant in tumours.
- Thus, it can stop human body from producing an enzyme that is commonly found in tumours in large numbers and can be used as a potential cancer treatment drug.
- It has shown activity against many cancers including prostate, lung, breast, colon, leukaemia, lymphoma, primary brain tumours and gastric cancer.