Daily Current Affairs 16th July, 2017
Indonesia Re-named part of South China Sea.
- Indonesia has renamed northern parts of its exclusive economic zone of South China Sea as ‘North Natuna Sea’.
- The move is considered as an act of defiance against Beijing’s territorial ambitions in the region.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
French firm EDF makes fresh proposal for Jaitapur plant.
- A French firm EDF has submitted its fresh proposal to NPCIL(Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd.) proposing to share a larger role in engineering aspect of the project.
- EDF has to build six atomic reactors at Jaitapur each with capacity of 1650MW.
BSNL unveils next generation optical fiber based technology to offer 1000mbps broadband service.
- Telecom Minister Manoj Sinha launched New generation optical fiber based technology which will enable BSNL to provide speed of 1000mbps.
- Bharat Sanhcar Nigam Ltd at present offers broadband facility with top download speed of 100 megabit per second on its fibre-to-the-home network.
Mahindra Group to invest USD 1 billion in the US over the next five years
- Mahindra Group plans to invest USD 1 billion (approximately Rs 64.27 billion) across various business areas in the United States in the next five years.
- The conglomerate’s aim is to double revenue in the United States market to $ 5 billion (approximately Rs 321 billion) over the next five years.
Reliance Jio, Patanjali among Top 10 influential brands.
- Making an impressive entry for first time among the top 10 most influential brands in India, Reliance Jio and Patanjali have grabbed 4th and 9th position respectively.
- Besides, Google has been ranked top while Microsoft and Facebook ranked second and third as per a study by global research firm Ipsos.
Govt launches GST training programme
- The government has launched a GST training programme to skill around two lakh youths in six months to handle tax compliance issues like invoice making. The people would be trained under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
- The new training course would cater to the need of GST trained professionals to help businesses in areas such as registration and calculation of tax liability under the new tax regime.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Chitraveen Maestro N. Ravikiran selected for Sangit Kalanidhi award.
- Noted Chitraveena Maestro N. Ravikiran has been selected for Sangit Kalanidhi award of this year.
- The awards are given every year by Madras Music Academy.
IIFA Awards 2017: List Of Winners
- The 18th edition of the International Indian Film Academy Awards was held in New York. Sonam Kapoor’s film Neerja won the best film award. Actor Shahid Kapoor earned the Best Actor award for his role in Udta Punjab, while Alia Bhatt won the Best Actor (Female) award for the same film.
Here’s the complete list of the IIFA 2017 winners:
- Best Film- Neerja
- Best Director- AnirudhRoy Chaudhary for Pink
- Best Actor (Male)- Shahid Kapoor for Udta Punjab
- Best Actor (Female)- Alia Bhatt for Udta Punjab
- Best Actor in Supporting Role (Female)- Shabana Azmi for Neerja
- Best Actor in Supporting Role (Male)- Anupam Kher for MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Best Debutant (Female): Disha Patani for M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Best Debut (Male)- Diljit Dosanjh for Udta Punjab
- Best Lyricist- Amitabh Bhattacharya for the song Channa Mere Ya from Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Best Playback Singer (Male)- Amit Mishra for Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Best Playback Singer (Female)- Kanika Kapoor for Udta Punjab and Tulsi Kumar for Airlift
- Best Music Direction- Pritam for Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Best Actor In Comic Role- Varun Dhawan for Dishoom
- Myntra Style Icon Award- Alia Bhatt
- IIFA Woman Of The Year- Tapsee Pannu
K K Venugopal: new Attorney General
- Senior advocate K K Venugopal’s name has been cleared for appointment as the Attorney General for India following the decision of Mukul Rohatgi to step down as the top law officer.
- The Law Ministry had recently referred the file relating to the appointment of Venugopal as the Attorney General.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Superwoman Lilly Singh appointed UNICEF’s Global Goodwill Ambassador
- UNICEF appointed Indian- origin Canadian YouTube star Lilly Singh as its newest Global Goodwill Ambassador at a special event in New Delhi.
- Lilly was in the capital to support UNICEF’s Youth4Change initiative, a programme for youth that brings them together to support their peers and communities in taking action on issues such as health, hygiene, child labour and gender equality.
PLACES IN NEWS
San Miguel de Allende named as world’s best city.
- Mexican city San Miguel de Allende is named as world’s best city by Travel and Leisure Magazine.
- Notably, Only one Indian city could make it for Top 15, Udaipur ranked 14th.
Matunga becomes India’s first railway station run by women
- Central Railway has taken a step towards women empowerment by appointing an all-female work staff at the suburban Matunga station. Matunga station has now become the first such ladies special station.
- According to the official, women have been manning this station, which falls on the Central Railway, since the past two weeks.
- A total of 30 women staffers, including 11 booking clerks, five RPF personnel, seven ticket checkers are working under the supervision of station manager Mamta Kulkarni since last two weeks.
Roger Federer wins record eighth Wimbledon title
- The 35-year-old Swiss champion became the tournament’s oldest winner with a straight-sets victory over his opponent Marin Cilic.
- This was Federer’s 19th Grand Slam title marked by 6-3, 6-1, 6-4
- Federer became the first player since Bjorn Borg in 1976 to win Wimbledon without dropping a set in the entire tournament.
Muguruza clinches maiden Wimbledon title
- Garbine Muguruza of Spain came out with the spectacular performance as she defeated seven-time Grand Slam Champion Venus Williams in straight sets to clinch her maiden Wimbledon title.
Lewis Hamilton wins fourth consecutive British Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton cruised to a fourth successive British Grand Prix victory on Sunday as he cut Sebastian Vettel’s lead in the championship to a single point.