Daily Current Affairs 17th October, 2016
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty: October 17
Wherever men and women are condemned to live in extreme poverty, human rights are violated. To come together to ensure that these rights be respected is our solemn duty. ” (F. Joseph Wresinski).
- The United Nations’ International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 each year since 1993.
- This year’s theme is moving from humiliation and exclusion to participation: Ending poverty in all its forms.
About International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- World Day to Overcome Extreme Poverty, was officially recognised by the United Nations in 1992.
- The day was first celebrated in 1987 by thousands of participants at the Human Rights Plaza in Paris, France.
China launches its longest manned space mission
- China today launched the two-man Shenzhou 11 space mission, which is its longest-ever manned space mission.
- The two astronauts will spend about a month in China’s recently-launched experimental space lab, Tiangong 2. While China claims its space programme is for peaceful purposes..
- The spacecraft was put into orbit by a Long March-2F carrier rocket.
- Both astronauts will spend a month aboard an experimental space laboratory Tiangong-2.
- During the mission, they will conduct aerospace medical experiments, space science experiments and in-orbit maintenance with human participation. They will also undertake ultrasound tests during space travel for the first time and cultivate plants in space.
Hinduja Group flagship Ashok Leyland launches first India-made electric bus -Circuit
- The first “Made in India” electric bus.
- The bus with a minimum seating capacity of 35 to a maximum of 65 can run up to 120 kilometres on a single recharge under standard test conditions.
Cipla signs deals to set up first biosimilars units in South Africa
- Indian pharmaceutical major Cipla has signed a memorandum of agreement for South Africa’s first biosimilars manufacturing facility to be set up at a cost of nearly USD 91 million.
- The agreement with KwaZulu-Natal Dube Trade Port Special Economic Zone for Cipla BIOTEC’s new facility was concluded on the margins of BRICS Summit in Goa.
Biosimilars are less costly imitations of drugs known as biologics, which are used to treat a range of diseases including cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and anemia. But they are different from generics in that they are not exact copies.
ICC announces first-ever women’s World T20 in 2020
- The International Cricket Council has decided to organise the first ever ICC Women’s World T20 event in 2020.
- A decision to this effect was taken at the ICC Board meetings which concluded in Cape Town.
- Cricket Australia, hosts for the men’s and women’s ICC World Twenty20 in 2020.
About International Cricket Council (ICC)
- It is international governing body of cricket
- Motto – Great Sport Great Spirit
- Formation -15 June 1909; 107 years ago
- Type -Federation of national associations
- Headquarters -Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Membership – 105 members
- Official languages-English
- Chairman-Shashank Manohar
- President-Zaheer Abbas
- CEO-David Richardson
US Navy commissions most advanced stealth destroyer Zumwalt
- US Navy has commissioned its largest, most expensive and technologically advanced destroyer, Zumwalt.
- The 610-foot-long ship, commissioned in Baltimore also has an advanced power plant and weapon systems.
- The Zumwalt, costing nearly USD 4.4 billion.
- The ship is 610 feet long, weighs almost 15,000 tons, and cost a minimum of $4.4 billion.
- Its distinctive, smooth appearance minimizes its radar signature
Indian boxer Neeraj Goyat retains WBC Asia welterweight title outpunching Australia’s Ben Kite
- The 24-year-old prevailed 120-110, 119-109, 115-113 in an unanimous decision for the gruelling 12-round contest against his 26-year-old rival.
Welterwight-Welterweight is a weight class in combat sports. Originally the term “welterweight” was used only in boxing, but other combat sports like Muay Thai, taekwondo and mixed martial arts also use it for their own weight division system to classify the opponents. In most sports that use it, welterweight is heavier than lightweight but lighter than middleweight.In professional boxing a welterweight boxer’s weight is greater than 63.5 kg (140 lb), but less than 66.7 kg (147 lb).
Amandeep Singh appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva
- Indian foreign service, 1992 batch officer, Shri Amandeep Singh Gill has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva, announced by the Ministry of external affairs on 16 October 2016.
- About UN Conference on Disarmament
- The Conference on Disarmament (CD) is not formally a United Nations (UN) organization.
- Linked to the UN through a personal representative of the UN Secretary-General.
- Established -1979 by the international community to negotiate multilateral arms control and disarmament agreements.
- Members- 65, represent all areas of the world, including all known nuclear-weapon states (including India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea)
- Resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly often request conference to consider specific disarmament matters. In turn, conference annually reports its activities to UNGA.
Note– In the 1990s, the Conference had held intensive efforts to draft CTBT text and its two annexes, but it did not succeed in reaching consensus on the adoption of the text. Currently it conducts discussion on Fissile Material Cut-off Treaty (FMCT), a pact to prevent an arms race in outer space, nuclear disarmament and negative security assurances (NSA).
C Radhakrishnan selected for Mathrubhumi Literary award
- Eminent writer C Radhakrishnan has been selected for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award in recognition of his contribution to the field of literature.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 2 lakh, a citation and a statuette.
About C Radhakrishnan
- A writer and film director in Malayalam language.
- Born in February 1939in Ponnani taluk in Malappuram district of Kerala.
- Currently, he is editor of Malayalam magazine Piravi.
- Earlier – chief editor of Madhyamam daily from 1999 to 2001.
- Directed films like Agni (1978), Kanalattam (1979), Pushyaragam (1979) and Ottayadippaathakal (1990).
Awards and Honours:
- National Literary Academy of India (1989),
- Kerala Literary Academy (1962).
About Mathrubhumi Literary Award
- Literary award bestowed upon writer’s for his overall contribution to the Malayalam literature
National Summit on Fortification of Food inaugurated in New Delhi October 17, 2016
- The National Summit on Fortification of Food was recently inaugurated in New Delhi to address interventions in combating micronutrient malnutrition in the country.
- The two day summit was co-hosted by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in partnership with related central ministries/departments and development partners.
- The Summit had brought together experts from nutrition and development communities as well as representatives from state governments, technical supporters, academics and donors to beneficiaries.
Food fortification? Food fortification or enrichment is the process of adding micronutrients i.e. essential trace elements and vitamins into the food. It is an integrated approach to prevent micronutrient deficiencies and complements other approaches to improve health and nutrition. Food fortification does not require changes in existing food habits and patterns nor individual compliance. It does not alter characteristics of food and is socio-culturally acceptable. It can be introduced quickly and can produce nutritional benefits and improve health of people in a short period of time. It also safe and cost effective. This enrichment process has proven as an effective strategy to meet the nutritional needs of a large number of people across various sections of the society, including the poor and underprivileged, pregnant women and young children.
Present status of food fortification in India
- The FSSAI has formulated a ‘Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) Regulations, 2016’, a comprehensive regulation on fortification of foods in the country.
- Set standard guidelines for food fortification and encourage the production, manufacture, distribution, sale and consumption of fortified foods.
- Assign specific role of FSSAI in promotion for food fortification and to make fortification mandatory.