Daily Current Affairs 18th February, 2017
Aadhaar card to be mandatory for College & University students availing benefits under Central Scholarships scheme
- Union Human Resource Development Ministry has stated that to avail benefit under the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University students, applicants will now have to furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar card or undergo Aadhaar authentication.
- However it is not applicable for students of Jammu & Kashmir
Banks Board Bureau Appoints Eight Executive Directors in Various Banks
- Eight Executive Directors (EDs) have been appointed in various public sector banks on the recommendations of Banks Board Bureau .
- Initially, they have been appointments for a three-year period.
List of Appointed Executive Directors
- Neelam Damodharan and Atanu Kumar Das have been appointed as EDs in Bank of India. Presently, Damodharan serves as the General Manager in Bank of Baroda and Das is General Manager in Vijaya Bank.
- K Swaminathan, the General Manager in Indian Overseas Bank, has been appointed as ED in Indian Overseas Bank.
- Ashok Kumar Pradhan has been appointed as the ED in United Bank of India. Presently he serves as the Chief General Manager with State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur.
- P Ramana Murthy will be Executive Director of Central Bank of India. He is GM of Allahabad Bank.
- Fareed Ahmed Khan, General Manager of Corporation Bank, has been appointed as the ED in Punjab and Sind Bank.
- M K Bhattacharya, Chief General Managers of State Bank of Mysore has been appointed as the EDs of Indian Bank
- S Harishankar who serves as Chief General Managers of State Bank of Travancore has been appointed EDs of Allahabad Bank.
Airtel Payments Bank and Mastercard launches India’s first online debit card
- Airtel Payments Bank and Mastercard, a leading global payments and technology firm have launched India’s first online debit card along with a prepaid card, both accessible via the Myairtel App.
- The online debit card will enable customers of Airtel Payments Bank to make digital payments at over 100,000 online merchants. Mastercard also has agreed to provide payment processing solutions to Airtel Payments Bank.
Madhya Pradesh launches ‘Mil Banche’ programme in all govt schools
- In Madhya Pradesh ‘Mil Banche’ programme was held in all the primary and middle government schools. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, his minister colleagues, public representatives and other dignitaries took classes in these schools to motivate children.
- After taking class, they urged students to adopt good virtues and set a big target for the life. He also shared his memories and experiences with students.
Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS AYUSH commissioned
- Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS AYUSH was commissioned at Kochi, Kerala by Vice Admiral AR Karwe, Flag Officer Commanding-in- Chief, Southern Naval Command.
- ICGS AYUSH is the 20th and the last in the series of 20 Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs) built by Cochin Shipyard Ltd
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
ISRO successfully tests largest cryogenic engine for GSLV Mark III rocket
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully ground tested India’s largest indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage engine for GSLV Mark III.
NRAI gets highest WHO ratings for vaccine regulations
- India’s vaccine regulatory body NRAI (National Regulatory Authority of India) was given the maximum ratings by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for vaccine regulations.
- The ratings were given by WHO after completing the assessment of the status of the NRAI system against WHO NRA Global Benchmarking Tool and measured the maturity of the system in India.
- The assessment was done in respect of 9 different functionalities by a WHO team comprising lead experts in different areas from WHO Headquarters Geneva, WHO India Country Office, experts from several countries.
- Based on it, NRAI was declared functional with a maturity level of 4 which is highest level as per currently evolved definitions in respect of 5 functions, and maturity level 3 in respect of 4 functions.
- Maturity level 4 indicates good results and sustained improvement trends, while level 3 reflects systematic process based approach, early stage of systematic improvements, data availability regarding conformance to objectives and existence of improvement trends.
- The result reflects growing maturity of NRAI emanating from a concerted effort by Government in consultation with WHO to build capacity and capability of NRAI over last several years.
SIB wins award for tech security practices South Indian Bank (SIB) was awarded with ISO 27001: 2013 certification for its Information Security Management System (ISMS).
- The certification process involved an extensive audit, conducted by British Standards Institution (BSI) against the criteria set out by the ISO 27001:2013 standards on various domains of IT functions.
- The award demonstrates SIB’s total commitment to benchmarking technology framework and processes with international standards and commitment to long term vision for security best practices.
- SIB already has received ISO 9001 Quality Management certification for its Credit Department, Personnel Department and Data Centre. ISMS is set of policies and procedures for systematically managing an organization’s sensitive data.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Melody Queen Lata Mangeshkar honoured with ‘Legendary Award ‘ 2017
- Melody Queen Lata Mangeshkar has been honoured with the ‘Legendary Award ‘ 2017 by Brand Laureate.
- The Brand Laureate Awards recognise world-class achievement in branding amongst individuals and companies.