Daily Current Affairs 18th June, 2017
Government Announces New Post Office Passport Seva Kendras.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has announced the launch of 149 new Post Office Passport Seva Kendra.
- These will be in addition to 86 POPSKs announced in the first phase.In the first phase 86 POPSKs were to be set up 52 of which are now functional.
- Government is planning to set up a comprehensive network of Passport SevaKendras across the nation so that no Indian will have to travel more than 50 km to get their passport.
ENVIRONMENT, SCIENCE AND TECH
Orion spacecraft passes key safety tests.
- NASA’s Orion spacecraft designed to take astronauts to deep space destinations has successfully completed a series of tests for its critical safety systems.
- Researchers tested the abort motor for Orion’s launch abort system, firing the 17-foot tall motor for five seconds.
- The launch abort system is an important part of making sure that the crew members stay safe on the launch pad and on their way to space.
CRPF launches helpline ‘Madadgaar’.
- Madadgaara 24×7 helpline has been launched by Central Reserve Police Force at Srinagar’s Tagore Hall.
- The helpline is the first of its kind in Kashmir with a toll free number 14411.
- Aim of the helpline is to assist Kashmiris, especially students studying all over the country who face security issues and other problems away from the home.
- This help line will bring back the lost bond between uniform forces and the people.
PERSONS IN NEWS
First Twitter user to hit 100 Million mark.
- Singer Katy Perry has become the first Twitter user to reach 100 million followers.
- She joined Twitter in February 2009, reached 50 million followers by mid-2012.
- The second most-followed Twitter account belongs to Justin Bieber with 96.7 million followers followed by Barack Obama.
No ICC World T20 in 2018.
- International Cricket Council has decided not to host the 2018 World T20 due to a tight schedule and lack of sponsors’ interest.
- 2018 World T20 has been pushed to 2020. However, the venue is yet to be decided.
- The previous ICC World T20s was been held in India in 2016 which was won by West Indies
Kidambi Srikanth wins Indonesia Open.
- Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth defeated Kazumasa Sakai in the finals to lift the Indonesia Open men’s singles trophy.
- He became the 1st Indian man to win this title and also the first Indian man to win Superseries Premier, Superseries and Grand Prix Gold titles.
- This is his third Superseries title win as he had previously won the China Open in 2014 and India Open in 2015.
McDonald’s ends Olympics sponsorship deal early.
- McDonald’s Corp has ended its 41-year-old sponsorship of the Olympic Games three years early. McDonald’s deal would have run through the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.
- IOC has faced criticism from public health campaigners for allowing sponsors such as Coca-Cola and McDonald’s to use the games to market their products, which are perceived to be unhealthy.
- McDonald’s has been part of the IOC’s top sponsors programme that contributes more than $1 billion in each four-year cycle for the games.
- McDonald’s was first involved with the games in 1968 and has been Olympics’ food retail sponsor since 1976.