Daily Current Affairs 18th May, 2017
Union Cabinet Approves Pharma Mission to Develop Bio-Pharmaceuticals
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved a collaborative mission between industry and academia called ‘Innovate in India empowering biotech entrepreneurs and accelerating inclusive innovation‘ that is aimed at accelerating research for early development of bio-pharmaceuticals.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
Paytm get final nod to launch Payment Bank
- Digital payment and commerce company Paytm has received the final nod from the Reserve Bank of India and is set to launch Paytm Payments Bank on May 23, 2017.
- Paytm is the third company from the 11 other applicants to launch payments bank after Airtel and IndiaPost. Mumbai-based Finopay Tech is also likely to launch its operations by next month .
BSNL Signs MoU with Facebook and MobiKwik
- BSNL has inked agreements with Facebook and MobiKwik in order to popularize the internet and its value added services among its customers.
- Further, BSNL has also signed a third MoU with Disney Land India to offer premium online gaming services to its mobile customers.
- The series of MoUs signed by BSNL comes at the backdrop of a stiff competition faced by BSNL from private telecom companies like Airtel and Reliance Jio.
Shri Bandaru Dattatreya launches EPFOs Citizens Charter 2017 & e-court management system
- The Minister of State for Labour & Employment(IC), Shri Bandaru Dattatreya launched EPFOs Citizens Charter 2017 and e-court management system in Bangalore.
- The citizens charter has been launched with the vision of social security coverage to all employees as well as implementation of policies for benefit of all stakeholders with adequate support level of social security.
- EPFO e-court Management System has been launched with the vision of transparent and electronic case management system which will cater to aspirations of all stakeholders the employers, the employees, litigants and CBT.
- Also, Retirement fund manager EPFO has reduced the stipulated period for settlement of various claims such PF withdrawal, pension and insurance to 10 days from 20 at present.
Cabinet approves Pan-India implementation of Maternity Benefit Program
- The Union Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval to Pan-India implementation of Maternity Benefit Program which now has been extended to all districts of the country.
- The total cost of the proposal for the period from 01.01.2017 to 31.03.2020 including Central and State Government share is Rs.12,661crore.
Indian Army gets its First Artillery Gun in 30 Years
- Nearly after 30 years after the induction of Bofors howitzers, Indian Army will get its first artillery guns called M777 from BAE Systems.
- Swedish Bofors guns were inducted in late 1980s after which Army has not inducted any modern artillery guns. The two M777s has arrived in New Delhi and will be tested at the Pokhran field firing range in Rajasthan.
- The two M777 guns will be used for compilation of firing tables. Indian Army has plans to equip 169 regiments with 3,503 guns by 2020.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Indian teen has developed world’s smallest satellite for NASA
- The US’ National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) will launch the world’s smallest satellite named ‘KalamSat’, it will be the first time ever that it would be piloting an experiment by an Indian student.
- Developed by Rifath Sharook, an 18-year-old boy, from Tamil Nadu’s Pallapatti town, KalamSat weighs only 64 grams. ‘KalamSat’, named after India’s nuclear scientist and former President, APJ Abdul Kalam, will be launched from a Nasa facility in Wallops Island.
Union environment minister Anil Madhav Dave dies
- Union environment minister Anil Madhav Dave has passed away. He was 60. He was born in Barnagar in Madhya Pradesh.
- He was a Rajya Sabha MP representing Madhya Pradesh, Anil Dave took charge as Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (Independent Charge) on July 06, 2016 following a reshuffle in the Narendra Modi Cabinet.
Actress Reema Lagoo passes away
- Veteran actress Reema Lagoo, known for her performance in movies like “Hum Aapke Hain Koun” and “Kal Ho Na Ho”, died due to a cardiac arrest in Mumbai. She was 59.
M S Boje Gowda takes over as Coffee Board Chairman
- M S Boje Gowda, a third generation planter from the country’s key coffee growing region of Chikmagalur, took over as the Coffee Board Chairman after a gap of almost 70 years.
- Gowda became the first grower to assume
PLACES IN NEWS
IARI at Assam:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the setting up of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (lARI) in Assam.
- lARI-Assam would be a Post-Graduate Institution of higher learning in Agricultural Education.
- It will have the hallmark identity of an IARI including all sectors of agriculture like field crops, horticultural crops, agro-forestry, animal husbandry, fisheries, poultry, piggery, silk rearing, honey production, etc.
- It will be an off-campus of IARI, New Delhi and integrated multi-disciplinary research would be undertaken in school mode i.e. Schools of Crop Sciences, Natural Resource Management, and Animal Sciences & Fisheries.
Mohammad Anas Breaks 400m National Record; Qualifies For World C’ships
- Kerala quartermiler Mohammad Anas smashed the national record in men’s 400m race on route to winning a gold medal at the third leg of the Indian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in New Delhi.
- He also qualified for the World Championships to be held in London in August.