Daily Current Affairs 19th June, 2017
UN approves creation of new office on counter-terrorism
- The UN General Assembly has approved the establishment of a new office to coordinate counter-terrorism efforts, a move welcomed by India as a “much awaited first step” that will align the world body with needs of the global community in the fight against the menace.
- Under the new structure, the Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force Office (CTITF) and the UN Counter- Terrorism Centre (UNCCT), currently in the UN Department of Political Affairs (DPA) will be transferred to the new office, together with their existing staff and all associated regular and extra-budgetary resources.
India re-elected to UN body on economic, social issues; Pakistan loses out
- India has been re-elected to the UN’s principal organ on economic, social and environmental issues for another three-year term. India was among 18 nations to win election to the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). India obtained 183 votes, the second highest after Japan in the Asia Pacific category. Election to fill the 18 vacancies in ECOSOC.
- Having obtained the required two-thirds majority, the nations elected members of ECOSOC for a three-year term beginning January 1 2018 are Belarus, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Ireland, Japan, Malawi, Mexico, Morocco, Philippines, Spain, Sudan, Togo, Turkey and Uruguay.
ECONOMY, BANKING AND FINANCE
AIIB approves membership of Argentina, Madagascar, Tonga
- The China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved the membership of Argentina, Madagascar, and Tonga at its second annual meeting of Governors. The AIIB’s Board of Governors adopted resolutions approving the three applicants to join the bank at the second annual meeting, which kicked off earlier in the day in South Korea’s southern resort island of Jeju.
- The first meeting was held in Beijing in 2016. The approved applicants included one regional prospective member of Tonga and two non-regional members of Argentina and Madagascar.
RBI initiates Prompt Corrective Action against Bank of Maharashtra as NPA mounts
- The Reserve Bank of India has initiated prompt corrective action (PCA) on Bank of Maharashtra placing a restriction on the banking activities. This RBI has said that the action is taken on the bank in view of the high level of bad loans.
- This is the sixth bank to be placed under PCA by the RBI and of this five banks were placed under PCA in the last three months. RBI has initiated PCA on Central Bank of India, IDBI Bank, UCO Bank, Dena Bank and Indian Overseas Bank. The move will restrict the bank from announcing the dividend, opening branches, hiring and giving loans to companies rated below investment grade.
Connaught Place is ninth most expensive office market in world, Mumbai lags
- Connaught Place in the national capital is the most expensive prime office market in India and the ninth most expensive office market in the world, with an occupancy cost of $153.89 per square feet, according to the bi-annual Global Prime Office Occupancy Costs survey of US-based CBRE.
- to the survey, Mumbai’s Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) moved one place up from nineteen to 20 while the CBD of Nariman Point ranked thirty-third on the list of the top 50 most expensive office markets around the world.
- Hong Kong (Central) became the world’s highest-priced office market with an occupancy cost of $302.51 per sq ft per annum. Asia continues to dominate the list of the world’s most expensive office locations, accounting for seven of the top ten markets, according to the survey.
Atal Pension Yojana (APY) can now be subscribed digitally
- Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has now introduced “APY@eNPS” which involves a complete digital enrolment process.
- This is the latest in the series of various initiatives taken by PFRDA for expansion of outreach of Atal Pension Yojana (APY), to give the additional push to cover the as yet unreached population with greater ease. PFRDA has conducted meetings with Banks and Dept of Post at Kolkata, Bengaluru & Mumbai respectively for the earliest roll out of the facility call.
Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga”
- Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardhan has launched a Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga”.
- The Mobile App has been developed by Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science & Technology on the occasion of International Yoga Day 2017.
- The aim of the app is to popularise Yoga and encourage people to practice yoga for a scientifically healthy living. In 2015, the Department of Science & Technology (DST) had also launched a research programme “Science and Technology of Yoga and Meditation (SATYAM)” under its Cognitive Science Research Initiative (CSRI).
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission completes 1000 Earth Days in Orbit
- ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) completes 1000 earth days in orbit. The orbiter has outlived its lifespan which is more than 5 times the number of days the orbiter was designated to last in orbit.
- The MOM has at present completed 388 orbits of Mars and has sent 715 images back to earth.
- According to the scientists, the MOM is in good health and shows no signs of slowing down. India has plans to send Mangalyaan 2.0 and a new mission to Venus after 2020.
Environmental Impact Survey
- India has been ranked 75th out of 102 countries in a list that ranks the countries in terms of the human impact on environment per person.
- The ranking has been done by MoneySuperMarket, a UK-based financial services website. The ranking has been made based on the impact the citizens have on the environment by taking into account energy consumption, air pollution, waste production, reliance on non-renewable energy, the carbon dioxide emissions per capita, wastewater treatment capacity, municipal solid waste generated and tree cover loss etc.
- Of all the parameters, the most weight has been given to Carbon dioxide emissions, municipal solid waste and energy consumption
- Top 10 Performers: Mozambique (1st), Ethiopia (2nd), Zambia (3rd), Latvia (4th), Kenya (5th), Albania (6th), Ghana (7th), Tajikistan (8th), Nepal (9th), Colombia (10th).
- Worst Performers: Trinidad and Tobago (102nd), United States (101st), Sri Lanka (100th), Ireland (99th), Canada (98th), China (97th), Australia (96th), South Africa (95th), Cyprus (94th), Malaysia (93rd).
India to host 2018 AIIB Annual Meeting
- The Board of Governors of the AIIB announced that the Bank’s third Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors will be held in Mumbai, India in June 2018.