Daily Current Affairs 19th September, 2016
Malaysian envoy releases translated book on Sai Baba Sai Charitra Granth’
- The book is translated into Malay by a social outfit called ‘I love Sai’.
Rio Paralympics 2016 Concluded
- The 15th Rio 2016 Paralympic Games 2016 (7-18 September) is over now and this time, we have witnessed some of the world record-breaking performances by the athletes.
- The 2020 Summer Paralympics, the 16th edition of the international multi-sports event, will be held in Tokyo, Japan, from 25 August to 6 September 2020.
- India’s flagbearer in Paralympic Opening ceremony – Devendra Jhajharia
- India’s flagbearer in Paralympic closing ceremony – Mariyappan Thangavelu
- India had a successful Paralympic Games campaign in Rio de Janeiro as they procured the best ever haul of four medals, including two golds and a silver and bronze medal apiece
Malayalam critic M Leelavathi bags Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award
- Eminent Malayalam critic and academician Dr M Leelavathi has been chosen for the prestigious N Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award 2016,
- This award was instituted in memory of well-known short story writer N Mohanan.
The honour comprises a gold medal of one sovereign.
West Bengal to confer Bangabibhushan award to Lata Mangeshkar
- To honour her contributions to Bengali songs, West Bengal government will confer this year’s ‘Bangabibhushan’ to legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- The title was instituted by the West Bengal Government to honour the services of personalities in various fields.
17th NAM summit held at Venezuela
- 17th NAM summit held in Venezuela and Vice President Hamid Ansari held talks with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on a host of issues of mutual interest.
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro touted the latest meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), a large Cold War-era bloc, as one that would be remembered for centuries to come.
1961 in Belgrade as the Conference of Heads of State or Government of Non-Aligned Countries
Alka Sirohi appointed UPSC chairman
- Former IAS officer Alka Sirohi has been appointed as chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Sirohi to perform the duties of the post of the chairman, UPSC, with effect from September 21, an order issued by Department of Personnel and Training.
Emmy Awards 2016
- 68th Emmy Awards, television’s biggest award ceremony, was held in Los Angeles on September 18. ‘Game of Thrones’ won the best Drama Series award.
- Tatiana Maslany won the best actress award for Orphan Black, Rami Malek won the best actor for Mr. Robot.
Federal Bank launches FederalSkill Academy at Coimbatore
- Federal Bank has launched its second FederalSkill Academy at Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu as part of its CSR initiatives.
- The first one being inaugurated last year at Ernakulam.
Charkhi Dadri is state’s 22nd district
- Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar today announced Charkhi Dadri as 22nd district of Haryana.
- At present, Charkhi Dadri is part of Bhiwani, the state’s largest district carved out on December 22, 1972.
‘Selfie with toilet’ to boost Swachh Bharat in Ludhiana
- To make the Swachh Bharat Mission successful and encourage people to use clean toilets, the Ludhiana district administration has started a ‘Selfie with my Shauchalya’ campaign.
- Under the initiative, beneficiaries of toilets provided by the Punjab government and Bharti Foundation had been urged to click a selfie with their toilets.
Govt to expand DBT to 147 schemes by next March
- The Government plans to double the number of schemes under DBT to 147 by March and has launched pilots for paying subsidy on food, kerosene and fertiliser directly via bank accounts of beneficiaries.
- Benefits and subsidies in as many as 74 schemes of 17 government departments and ministries were paid directly to beneficiaries under DBT.
- The Government planned to extend DBT to 147 schemes by March 2017.
World’s largest ship lift begins trial run in China
- The trial operation of a world’s largest permanent ship lift designed by Chinese and German engineers on China’s Three Gorges Dam began.
- The ship lift, is the largest and most sophisticated in the world, according to Three Gorges Corp, a state-owned company responsible for the construction of the project.
Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to get humanitarian award
- Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been honored as the 2016 humanitarian of the year by students and faculty at the Harvard Foundation.
- Suu Kyi gained international prominence as the General Secretary of the newly formed National League for Democracy in Myanmar in 1990.
- She became one of the world’s most well-known political prisoners during her 15 years of house arrest for participating in protests against the government.
Lt Gen Surinder Singh Takes Charge Of Western Command
- Lt Gen Surinder Singh today took over as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Command.
- He is the successor of Lt Gen KJ Singh who retired on July 31,2016.
- Prior to this, he was on attachment to the Deputy Chief of Army Staff’s Branch at the Army Headquarters in New Delhi after having completed his tenure as the GOC, 33 Corps at Siliguri in August.
Monika Kapil Mohta appointed Ambassador to Sweden
- Ms. Monika Kapil Mohta, presently Additional Secretary in the Ministry, has appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Sweden.
Indian-Origin South African Is Head Of Global Blood Service
- An Indian-origin South African has become the first person from the African continent to head a global organisation of medicine professionals working for the safety of blood transfusion worldwide.
- Ravi Reddy, currently the Chief Operations Officer of the South African National Blood Service (SANBS), will head the International Society for Blood Transfusion (ISBT), headquartered in Amsterdam.
China and Russia conduct naval exercises Joint Sea-2016 to improve security
- The Chinese and Russian navies have concluded Joint Sea-2016, eight days of naval exercises, in the South China Sea.
- The Joint Sea-2016 was launched as a sign of growing cooperation between their armed forces against the backdrop of regional territorial disputes.