Daily Current Affairs 20th August, 2017
India’s First World Peace University Inaugurated in MIT, Pune
- MIT World Peace University,the first of its kind in India, was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis.
- A two-day ‘Global Summit Science and Spirituality for World Peace’ was organized on the next day discussing issues of national and international importance and how a different outlook towards education could solve many of them.
- C V Rao is the present Governor of Maharashtra.
‘Champions of Change’ an event is Organised by NITI Aayog
- PM Narendra Modiaddressed a gathering of young entrepreneurs and CEOs startups at an event organised by NITI Aayog. The event called ‘Champions of Change’ was organised by India’s policy think-tank, was aimed at bringing together young businessmen at a place and share ideas.
- The “Champions of Change” initiative is one effort to bring together diverse strengths for the benefit of the nation and society.
- PM Narendra Modi is present Chairperson of NITI Aayog.
- Economist Rajiv Kumar to be new Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog.
Sadbhavana Diwas: 20 August
- The Sadbhavana Diwasor Harmony Day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary (August 20) of Rajiv Gandhi.
- On this day national integration, peace, love, affection and communal harmony among all Indians is encouraged. Shri Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20, 1944, in Bombay. At 40, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi was theyoungest Prime Minister of India.
- Rajiv Ratna Gandhi was the 6th Prime Minister of India, serving from 1984 to 1989.
- He was assassinated on 21 May 1991.
Rs 50 Note to be Launched Soon
- The Reserve Bank of Indiawill shortly issue Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series signed by Governor of RBI Dr. Urjit Patel. The base colour of the note is fluorescent blue.
- The new Rs 50 banknote has a motif of Hampi with a chariot, depicting the country’s cultural heritage, and the Swachh Bharat logo with slogan on the reverse. All the banknotes in the denomination of Rs 50 issued by the Reserve Bank in the earlier series will continue to be legal tender.
- RBI Headquarters in Mumbai.
- The 24th Governor of RBI is Dr. Urjit Patel.
- In November 2016, the RBI had introduced new banknotes of Rs 500 and Rs 2,000 denominations with base colours of stone grey and magenta, respectively.
Telangana CM Chosen for Agriculture Leadership Award
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Raohas been selected for the prestigious Agriculture Leadership Award-2017. The award will be presented on September 5 at Taj Palace Hotel in New Delhi.
- The Chief Minister has been selected for the award for his innovative services rendered to the welfare of farmers and the farm sector.
- The award, instituted by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture in 2008, is presented every year since then.
- E S L Narasimhan is the present Governor of Telangana.
Indian Athletes Bag Record 37 Medals at World Dwarf Games
- The Indian contingent created history in the World Dwarf Gamesby winning a record haul of medals.
- The 21-men Indian team won 37 medals including 15 golds, 10 silver and 12 bronze medalsin the 7th edition of the World Dwarf Games. It was held in Toronto, Canada. Arunachalam Nalini, who won five medals, including one gold.
- Ottawa is the Capital of Canada.
- Canadian dollar is the currency of Canada.
Srikanth, Sindhu lead India’s hunt
- Kidambi Srikanth and P V Sindhu will headline a 21 member Indian contingent as they gun for the elusive gold medal at the World Badminton Championships.
Sakshi and Bajrang are India’s biggest medal hopes
- Olympic medallist Sakshi Malik and Asian Champion Bajrang Punia will spearhead the Indian Challenge at World Wrestling Championships .
- It will take place in Paris.