Daily Current Affairs 20th November, 2016
Pradhanmantri Grameen Awas Yojna to provide 3 crore affordable housing units across country
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched Pradhanmantri Grameen Awas Yojna, an ambitious housing scheme meant for rural poor in Agra.
- Designed entirely for the rural masses, the ambitious scheme aims to provide affordable houses to all those living below the poverty line by the year
- The prime minister also distributed allotment letters to 50 beneficiaries of the scheme, which aims to provide about 3 crore new housing units countrywide.
Universal Children’s Day is observed on November 20
- United Nations Universal Children’s Day was established in 1954 and is celebrated on November 20th each year to promote international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide, and improving children’s welfare.
- November 20th is an important date as it is the date in 1959 when the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child.
- It is also the date in 1989 when the UN General assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Since 1990, Universal Children’s Day also marks the anniversary of the date that the UN General Assembly adopted both the declaration and the convention on children’s rights.
- The convention, which is the most widely ratified international human rights treaty, lays out a number of children’s rights including the “right to life, to health, to education and to play, as well as the right to family life, to be protected from violence, to not be discriminated, and to have their views heard”.
Catholic Syrian Bank to appoint CVR Rajendran as MD & CEO
- The Reserve Bank of India has granted approval for appointment of C.V.R. Rajendran as the Managing Director & CEO of Catholic Syrian Bank for a period of three years from the date of his taking charge.
World’s first heart transplant doctor passes away
- Renowned heart surgeon Denton Cooley, who performed the world`s first artificial heart transplant in the United States, has passed away at the age of 96 in Houston, Texas.
Sindhu wins maiden Super Series Premier title
- Olympic silver medallist P.V. Sindhu clinched her maiden Super Series Premier title after edging out Sun Yu of China in the finals of the USD 700,000 China Open badminton tournament in Fuzhou,China.
- Sindhu continued her rampaging run as she lifted the prestigious title after beating Sun 21-11 17-21 21-11 in the summit clash that lasted an hour and nine minutes.
Ashwin 1st bowler ever to take 50 wickets in consecutive years
- Ravichandran Ashwin, with his 5-wicket haul against England in the Visakhapatnam Test, became the first bowler ever to complete 50 wickets in two consecutive calendar years.
- The off-spinner took 62 wickets in 9 Tests in 2015 and has so far claimed 52 wickets in 9 Tests in 2016.