Daily Current Affairs 22nd September, 2016
Delhi’s Race Course Road renamed as Lok Kalyan Marg AS the name Race Course Road “does not match with Indian culture. :
Delhi’s Race Course Road, where the PM`s residence is loacted has now been renamed as Lok Kalyan Marg.
Mukesh Ambani retains top position on Forbes’ 100 Richest Indians list :
- Forbes India has released the annual India rich list and Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has topped the Forbes’ ‘100 Richest Indians’ list.
- India’s richest pharmaceutical magnate Dilip Shanghvi remains at 2nd
- Taking the third spot are the Hinduja brothers with a net worth of $15.2 billion
Centre appoints three members to Monetary Policy Committee
- The Centre has appointed 3 members to the Monetary Policy Committee.
- They are Chetan Ghate( Professor, Indian Statistical Institute); Pami Dua (Director, Delhi, School of Economics); and Ravindra Dholakia (Professor, Indian Institute of Management), Ahmedabad. The members will have a term of four years which is non renewable.
- The RBI will set interest rates according to the majority view of the six-member MPC, with the Governor having the casting vote in case of a tie.
Ritu Rani, former Indian women’s hockey captain ,retires from international hockey
- The 24-year-old midfielder made the announcement in a mail to Hockey India president Narinder Batra.
Justice Mohan M Shantanagoudaris the new CJ of Kerala
- Governor Justice(Retd) P Sathasivam administered the oath of office to Justice Shantanagoudar, who was the acting Chief justice.
Justice Girish Chandra Gupta sworn in as Calcutta HC chief justice
- West Bengal Governor K.N. Tripathi administered the oath of office to Justice Gupta at the Raj Bhavan
HDFC Bank named India’s most valuable brand
- HDFC Bank has emerged as India’s most valuable brand for the third consecutive year, ranking first on the BrandZ Top 50 list released by WPP Group.
- HDFC Bank was followed by Airtel and SBI in the list.
- ABOUT HDFC
- Founded-August 1994
- Headquarters -Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Area served-India
- Key people- Aditya Puri (MD)
Rafale deal cleared
- The government has cleared the much-anticipated deal with France for 36 Rafale fighter jets which will cost 7.878 billion Euros.
- Last year, the original plan to buy 126 planes was scaled down to 36 due to the Air Force’s urgent requirement.
- ABOUT RAFALE
- The Rafale is a twin-engine, multi-role fighter aircraft.
- According to Dassault, it is capable of carrying out all combat missions: air defence, interception, ground support, in-depth strikes, reconnaissance, anti-ship strikes and nuclear deterrence.
Industrialist Adi Godrej conferred the 10th Clinton Global Citizen Award for leadership in business and philanthropy.
- The award recognises Godrej’s leadership in transforming the intersection of business and philanthropy and making the Godrej Group a global example of what can be achieved through inclusive, sustainable business strategies.
Oxford tops the list as the world’s leading university
- In the latest Times Higher Education world rankings index, Oxford topped the list as the world’s leading university, followed by the California Institute of Technology, Stanford and Cambridge.
- The United States had 63 institutions in the top 200, while the UK had 32 and Australia had eight.
- Asian universities, with more rising up the list in 2016, the region’s top institution National University of Singapore was ranked 24th.
- Jadavpur University has topped the list of state run varsities from India