Daily Current Affairs 23rd January, 2017
Turkey’s constitutional reform
- The Turkish parliament has approved a constitutional reform bill that includes strengthening the powers of the presidency, a move that paves the way for a referendum this year that could see President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in office until 2029.
Nation pays homage to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 120th birth anniversary
- Nation pays homage to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 120th birth anniversary (23 January 2017 )
- It was on this day in 1897, Netaji was born in Cuttack, Odisha.
Kwality Ltd Signs MoU with Bank of Baroda for Rs 4000 Cr Loan to Farmers
- Mumbai based dairy firm Kwality Ltd has signed an MoU with Bank of Baroda on January 20, 2017 to provide Rs. 4000 crore loans to one lakh farmers out of the established networks from whom the company procures milk.
PLACES IN NEWS
Bihar supports prohibition with ‘the world’s longest human chain’
- Bihar has claimed to have formed the world’s largest human chain to reaffirm commitment towards liquor ban.
- The chain was billed as a social message against addiction, and specifically in favour of prohibition.
- Over three crore people participated in the chain, stretching 11,400 km in all the 38 districts of the State.
- Over 3.5 lakh people have set a new world record by singing the national anthem at an event at Kagvad in Rajkot, Gujarat.
- The occasion was the installation of the idol of goddess Khodiyar at the newly-built Khodal Dham temple in the town.
Ex-BCCI president Anurag Thakur to head Himachal Olympic Association
- Ex-BCCI president Anurag Thakur unanimously elected head of the Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association (HPOA) for a four-year term.
Sunish wins ITF Juniors title
- Dhruv Sunish finally got the taste of ITF Juniors title when he won the boys singles crown downing Kazakhstan’s Dostanbek Tashbulatov at the Dakshin Kalikata Sansad clay courts