Daily Current Affairs 25th August, 2017
Bilateral Meeting Between India and Uzbekistan Held in New Delhi
- The Commerce and Industries Minister, Mrs. Nirmala Sitharaman and Mr. Abdulaziz Kamilov, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Mr. Elyor Ganiev, Minister of Foreign Trade held detailed discussions on deepening trade and economic ties between India and Uzbekistan in a bilateral meeting in New Delhi.
- Commerce Minister expressed happiness on the formation of an Uzbek India Trading House at Delhi as a Joint Venture Company.
- The Capital of Uzbekistan is Tashkent.
- Shavkat Mirziyoyev is the president of Uzbekistan.
UIDAI Launches Door Step Aadhar Enrolment in Delhi
- UIDAIhas joined hands with CSC India for launching door step enrolment facility in the national capital for the elderly, patients and others who cannot travel the Aadhar centers.
- The van was flagged off by Law and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. The van will provide Aadhaar enrolment service at door step in Delhi area.
- Shri J Satyanarayana (Part Time) is the Chairman of UIDAI.
- UIDAI stands for Unique Identification Authority of India.
Government tweaks norms to boost UDAN scheme.
- The Civil Aviation Ministry on Thursday announced increasing viability gap funding for helicopter operators, diluting exclusivity clause and relaxed other norms to facilitate more participation in its regional connectivity scheme, UDAN.
- The Ministry also abolished the 150-km minimum distance required between two airports to be qualified for operations under the scheme.
Raghuram Rajan Pens Book ‘I Do What I Do’ on his RBI Stint
- Former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has penned a book titled ‘I Do What I Do: On Reform, Rhetoric & Resolve’.Raghuram Rajan explains economic concepts and talks of issues like tolerance and connection between political freedom and prosperity in his new book.
- The book is a collection of essays and speeches during his stint as Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor. The book will hit stores on 4 September, exactly a year after he quit as the RBI governor.
- He co-authored Saving Capitalism from the Capitalists with Luigi Zingales and wrote Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy, for which he was awarded the Financial Times-Goldman Sachs prize for best business book.
Karnataka signs MOU with Microsoft
- Karnataka Agriculture Departmenthas signed an MoU withMicrosoft India to develop a unique “farm price forecasting model” using latest IT tools in a bid to help farmers, administrators and other stakeholders to understand the market behaviour in advance.
- The proposed initiative is thefirst-of-its-kind in the countryas it is a “multi-variate” one that takes into consideration various factors beyond the conventional supply-demand equation while forecasting the prices for crops. It will examine a slew of related factors including weather, rainfall and external factors that impact market behaviour.
- Siddaramaiah is the CM of Karnataka.
- Vajubhai Vala is the Present Governor of Karnataka.
Dhanlaxmi Bank, DHFL Pramerica Tie up for Bancassurance
- DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance Companyhas signed on Kerala-based Dhanlaxmi Bankas its bancassurance partner. Under the agreement, the latter will distribute retail and group life insurance products to its customers across 260 branches in India.
- With this tie-up, the company is in a strong position to consolidate its presence in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. The tie-up will further increase the insurance penetration in the region.
- G Sreeram is the Managing Director and CEO of Dhanlaxmi Bank.
Ronaldo First to be named Men’s Player of the Year for Three Times
- Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has won the UEFA Men’s Player of the Year award for the 2016/17 season. He received the award at the 2017/18 UEFA Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.
ii. Ronaldo picked up the trophy for the second consecutive season and third time in total. Ronaldo received 482 points in the poll, with Messi (141 votes) and Buffon (109 votes) finishing second and third respectively.
Other Award Given are as follows-
- UEFA Women’s Player of the Year: Lieke Martens.
- Best Goalkeeper of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Gianluigi Buffon.
- Best Defender of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Sergio Ramos.
- Best Midfielder of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Luka Modrić.
- Best Forward of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Cristiano Ronaldo.
- UEFA President’s Award: Francesco Totti.
DEFENCE, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Indian Navy Band Participates in International Military Music Festival in Russia
- The International Military Music Festival “Spasskaya Tower”is the parade of the best military music bands of Russia and other countries that takes place every year at Red Square in Moscow. This time Indian Navy Band is participating in the festival.
- Every year about 1500 musicians, military men and other artists from around 40 countries perform at the “Spasskaya Tower”. The Festival is duly considered one of the largest international events in Russia and attracts tremendousresponse of the general public.
- Moscow is the Capital of Russia.
- Vladimir Putin is the Present President of Russia.
Salient Features of Newly Introduced Rs 50 and Rs 200 Notes
The Reserve Bank of Indiawill shortly issue Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing the signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, Governor, Reserve Bank of India.
- The new denomination hasa motif of Hampi with Chariot on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The base colour of the note is Fluorescent Blue. The dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm x 135 mm.
APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATION
Nandan Nilekani Returns to Infosys as New Chairman
- Nandan Nilekanihas been appointed as the New Chairman of the software giant Infosys. Nilekani has replaced R Seshasayee, who resigned as chairman of the board. Vishal Sikka stepped down as CEO of the company recently.
- Sikka, who was appointed executive vice-chairman after he resigned as CEO, has also stepped down.
- Nilekani served as Infosys’s CEO from 2002 to 2007.
- Infosys is country’s no. 2 software services exporter.
Rajiv Bansal appointed as interim Chairman and MD of Air India.
- Rajiv Bansal, Additional Secretary & Financial advisor at Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, has been appointed as the interim Chairman and MD of state air carrier Air India.
- This comes after former Chairman and MD of Air India Ashani Lohani took over as the Railway Board Chairman.
Tony de Brum Passes Away
- Tony de Brum,the former Marshall Islands foreign minister who became a leading advocate for the landmark Paris Climate Agreement and an internationally recognised voice in the fight against climate change, has died aged 72.
- De Brum was also the Pacific nation’s climate ambassador.
- Majuro is the capital of Marshall Islands.
India’s Oldest Cinematographer Ramananda Sengupta Passes Away
Country’s oldest cinematographer Ramanda Sengupta, who worked with legends like Jean Renoir, Ritwik Ghatak, and Mrinal Sen, died in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Sengupta was 101 years old. He got his first break in 1938 when he joined Film Corporation of India in Kolkata (then Calcutta) as an assistant cameraman. His first film as a full-time cinematographer was in Purbaraag directed by Ardhendu Mukherjee in 1946.