Daily Current Affairs 25th March, 2017
UK govt certifies India’s request for extradition of Vijay Mallya
- India’s request for extradition of industrialist Vijay Mallya, who has been declared a proclaimed offender, has been certified by UK secretary of state.
- The UK home department has conveyed that the request of India for extradition of Mallya has been certified by the secretary of state and sent to the Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a district judge to consider the issue of releasing of warrant.
- The development is a step towards securing the extradition of the fugitive businessman wanted in India for loan default of over Rs 9,000 crore.
Conference on ‘Make in India’ held in Houston
- A first-ever conference was held here bringing together various constituencies that have an interest in India and discussing the latest developments and the best practices of doing business in India.
- The two-day Houston India Conference was hosted by Asia Society Texas Center which began on 24th.
- The theme of the Conference is ‘Make in India -The Inside Story’.
CCI imposes ₹591 crore penalty on Coal India
- Fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed a penalty of₹591.01 crore upon Coal India Limited (CIL) on finding that CIL and its subsidiaries violated the Competition Act by imposing unfair and discriminatory conditions in Fuel Supply Agreements (FSAs) with power producers for supply of non-coking coal.
- Apart from ordering CIL and its subsidiaries to “cease and desist” from anti-competitive practices, the CCI also directed modification of the FSAs.
- CIL had also been directed to ensure uniformity between old and new power producers as well as between private and PSU power producers.
- The Competition Act, 2002 prohibits anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant position by enterprises and regulates combinations (acquisition, acquiring of control and Merger and acquisition), which causes or likely to cause an appreciable adverse effect on competition within India.
Aadhaar mandatory for mobile connection
- After making Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns and applying for a Permanent Account Number (PAN), the government has moved to make Aadhaar-based e-KYC (know your customer) mandatory for mobile phone connections.
- The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) directed all mobile phone service providers to reverify existing customers, prepaid and postpaid, using their unique Aadhaar identity number and biometric details.
- Aadhaar-based e-KYC would also be mandatory for customers procuring new SIM card.
Karnataka Bank launches Moneyplant TM Rupay International Platinum Debit Card
- Karnataka Bank, in its endeavor to provide more privileges to its premium & HNI customers, has launched a novel card product viz., MoneyPlantTMRuPay International Platinum Debit Card.
- This card can be used for domestic as well as international cash withdrawal & purchase transactions.
- The card has superior features & privileges such as enhanced withdrawal limit of `75,000/- & purchase (POS/ecommerce) limit of `2,00,000/- per day, Personal Accident Insurance Coverage of `2 lakh, Two Free lounge access per quarter across 30+ airports in India and 300+ airports worldwide, Fuel surcharge waiver, Utility bill cash back offers & various other merchant offers.
Union Government to launch Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
- Union Government is going to launch Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY) scheme for providing physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- It is the first-of-its-kind Central Sector Scheme (CCS) in India, to be fully funded by the Central Government. It is expected to benefit 5,20,000 Senior Citizens
Bihar Government launches free WiFi programme for students
- Bihar government has launched an ambitious programme to provide free WiFi facilities in colleges and universities on the occasion of Bihar Diwas.
- The program aims to provide free Wi-Fi facility to help youths to move ahead in life and to become digital smart.
- The foundation day of Bihar (also known as Bihar Diwas) is celebrated every year on March 22.
- On this day in 1912, then British India Government had carved out the state from Bengal Presidency in 1912.
Indian Navy successfully test fires Barak missile from INS Vikramaditya
- Indian Navy successfully conducted maiden test of short range surface-to-air Barak missile from country’s sole aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
- The test was conducted in the Arabian Sea in which missile was fired against a live, low-flying, high-speed target. The missile successfully engaged and destroyed the target, validating operational readiness inspection of the Western Fleet of the Indian Navy.
Navy gets three naval systems from DRDO
- Defence Minister Arun Jaitley handed over three naval systems, developed by premier Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to the Indian Navy.
- The naval systems, given to Indian Navy, are USHUS-II submarine sonar, directing gear for hull-mounted sonar array and inertial navigation system for ship applications.
5th Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav (RSM) held in Arunachal Pradesh
- The 5th edition of‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav (RSM) – 2017’ was held in Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh.
- It was organized by the Union Ministry of Culture to preserve, promote and popularize the heritage and cultural diversity of Indian culture and reconnect the new generation with Indian culture.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Environment Ministry official to chair Animal Welfare Board of India
- Government has notified that Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI), a statutory advisory body under the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF) will now be permanently chaired by a senior MoEF official.
- Recently, new Board of 18 members, chaired by Sharad Singh Negi, Special Secretary and Director-General (Forests), MoEF came into effect for three years term.
Bengaluru gets India’s first vertical garden
- India’s first vertical garden was set up at the Hosur Road Electronics City Flyover in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The garden is an initiative of SayTrees, NGO determined to protect nature.
- The vertical garden will help to control the pollution level of the city and also act as a sound proofing barrier.
- It covers pillar of the flyover by flaunting lovely organic and refreshing saplings.
- It also has an automatic drip irrigation system allowing the plants to get water on a daily basis.
‘Earth Hour’ being observed on 25 March
- The World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF) is observing the 10th anniversary of ‘Earth Hour’ today i.e. 25 March,2017.
- The worldwide event is held annually encouraging individuals to turn off non-essential lights for one hour, from 8:30 to 9:30 PM local time as a symbol of their commitment to the planet.
- It was started as a lights-off event in Sydney, Australia, in 2007.
Ravish Kumar awarded first Kuldip Nayar journalism award
- Senior executive editor of NDTV India Ravish Kumar was awarded inaugural Kuldip Nayar journalism award at in recognition of his outstanding contribution in the world of Journalism.
- The award was set up to honour those working in vernacular media.
- It will be awarded every year from now on and carries a plaque along with a cash amount of Rs 1 lakh.
PERSONS IN NEWS
SBI’s Arundhati Bhattacharya among world’s greatest leaders
- State Bank of India (SBI) Chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya has been ranked 26th among the world’s 50 greatest leaders, according to Fortune Magazine.
- With this, Bhattacharya has become the only Indian corporate leader to be featured on the list. The list has been topped by Theo Epstein President, Baseball Operations in Chicago Cubs.
Upendra Tripathy appointed as IDG of ISA
- Senior IAS officer Upendra Tripathy was appointed as the full-time Interim Director General (IDG) of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- ISA’s headquarters is located at National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), Gurugram in Haryana.
- ISA is a coalition of the solar resource rich countries.
- Mandate – to provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar resource rich countries along with bilateral and multilateral organizations, corporates, industry, and stakeholders to achieve common goals of increasing use of the solar energy in meeting energy needs in a safe, convenient, affordable, equitable and sustainable manner.