Daily Current Affairs 25th May, 2017
Socialist Lenin Moreno sworn in as Ecuador president
- Lenin Moreno was sworn in as Ecuador’s president following a tight electoral race that the former vice president won on promises of maintaining the social programs of his leftist predecessor, Rafael Correa.
- The 64-year-old Moreno, a socialist, last month won a runoff vote in the oil-exporting country, bucking a shift to the right in South America as leftist governments struggle to maintain support.
Important Cabinet Approvals- 24 May 2017
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval in the various fields and has also approved some important MoUs. The important approvals of the Cabinet are as follows-
- The Cabinet has approved-
- MoU between India and Bangladesh on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
- Raising of Bonds of Rs. 2360 crores for Renewable Energy.
- Joint Declaration of Intent between Germany and India regarding cooperation in the sector of alternative medicine.
- Phasing out Foreign Investment Promotion Board.
- MoU between Spain and India on cooperation in the field of Organ Transplant Services.
- Setting up of new AIIMS in Kamrup, Assam.
- The allocation of 2.5 per cent of Central Road Fund for development and maintenance of National Waterways (NWs) by amending the Central Road Fund Act, 2000.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
Cabinet approves phasing out Foreign Investment Promotion Board
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to the phasing out of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB). The proposal entails abolishing the FIPB and allowing administrative Ministries/Departments to process applications for FDI requiring government approval.
- Henceforth, the work relating to processing of applications for FDI and approval of the Government thereon under the extant FDI Policy and FEMA, shall now be handled by the concerned Ministries/Departments in consultation with the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion(DIPP), Ministry of Commerce, which will also issue the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for processing of applications and decision of the Government under the extant FDI policy.
- With this, Foreign Investors will find India more attractive destination and this will result in more inflow of FDI. The move will provide ease of doing business and will help in promoting the principle of Maximum Governance and Minimum Government.
GOVT SCHEME/DIGITAL INDIA
Govt launches ‘eSanad’ for online document verification
- The Human Resource Development Ministry and the External Affairs Ministry launched an online verification portal ‘e-sanad’ to make the document verification process easier for students who planning to study abroad.
- ‘e-Sanad’ is an initiative of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), in association with two other ministries with the help of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- CBSE becomes the first Board to partner with MEA for e-Sanad.
IIT-Kharagpur signs MoU with Madhya Pradesh for measuring Happiness Index
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur’s Rekhi Centre of Excellence for the Science of Happiness has signed an MoU with Madhya Pradesh government to collaborate on the development of a Happiness Index for measuring the well-being of the people of the state.
- The MoU was signed with MP government’s ‘Rajya Anandam Sansthan’ (Department of Happiness) in the presence of MP Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and IIT-KGP Director Prof P P Chakrabarti at Bhopal recently.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
BSNL launches satellite phone service using Inmarsat
- State-owned BSNL started satellite phone service through INMARSAT which will be initially offered to government agencies and later opened for others citizen in phased manner.
- The service will cover areas where no networks are present and be provided by INMARSAT which has 14 satellites. Agencies handling disasters, state police, railways, Border Security Force and other government agencies will be given the phones in the first phase
EDII and ITC bags Porter Prize 2017
- Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), Gujarat and ITC Ltd have won the Porter Prize 2017.
- ITC bags for Excellence in Corporate Governance and Integration and for its contribution in Creating Shared Value.
- The Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), is an autonomous body and not-for-profit institution, set up in 1983, is sponsored by apex financial institutions, namely the IDBI Bank Ltd, IFCI Ltd. ICICI Ltd and State Bank of India (SBI).
Two Indian peacekeepers honoured posthumously with UN medal
- Two Indian peacekeepers Rifleman Brijesh Thapa and Ravi Kumar were among 117 military, police and civilian personnel honoured by the United Nations with a prestigious UN medal awarded posthumously for courage and sacrifice in the line of duty.
- They received the Dag Hammarskjöld Medal on the Ocassion of International Day of UN Peacekeepers which was observed on 29 May, 2017
New Book on Virat Kohli’s Winning Formula Revealed by Abhirup Bhattacharya
- A new book “Winning like Virat: Think & Succeed like Kohli” by Abhirup Bhattacharya, unravels the secrets of the cricketer’s consistent form, while attempting to decode his philosophy towards life.
- In the book, the writer etches Virat’s success curve by using statistics that chart his performances and anecdotes from his predecessors and contemporaries in the game.
PLACES IN NEWS
World Economic Forum: Mumbai and Kota among World’s most Crowded
- World Economic Forum citing UN-Habitat data has named two Indian cities-Mumbai and Kota among the world’s most crowded cities. Dhaka has topped the list followed by India’s financial capital Mumbai.
- Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh has a population density of 44,500 people per square kilometre. Mumbai has a population density of 31,700 people per square kilometre.
- Another Indian city Kota in Rajasthan with 12,100 people per square kilometre has been ranked seventh in the list.