Daily Current Affairs 26th March, 2017
Bangladesh celebrates 46th Independence Day
- On March 26 Bangladesh celebrates its Independence day.
- Bangladesh’s President Md Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina placed wreaths at National Memorial in Savar paying respects to those who sacrificed their lives for the freedom.
- Capital and largest city -Dhaka
- Official languages -Bengali
- Currency -Taka
- President -Abdul Hamid
- Prime Minister -Sheikh Hasina
Indian Railways to install Wi-Fi kiosks at 500 remote stations for e-services
- Railways will set up Wi-Fi hotspot kiosks at about 500 stations and help people access an array of online services, including various government schemes.
- Christened as Railwire Saathi, the Wi-Fi kiosks will function like a PCO for Digital India and enable people to use services like e-commerce, online banking and much more.
India becomes third largest aviation market in domestic traffic
- India has become the third largest aviation market in terms of domestic passenger traffic, beating Japan.
- United States with 815 million passengers in 2016 enjoyed the top position, followed by China with 490 million.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Supreme Court to go paperless within 6-7 months: Chief Justice J.S. Khehar
- Justice Khehar said the court will soon dispense with the need of filing voluminous documents and paperbooks as it is in the process of digitising the entire court records across the country.
- He said the apex court will collect all the records electronically from the lower courts and the high courts so that there is no need to file hard copies.
PERSONS IN NEWS
BSF gets first woman field officer in Tanushree Pareek
- The Border Security Force on Saturday received its first woman field officer after a convocation ceremony conducted in the BSF academy at Tekanpur in Madhya Pradesh’s Gwalior district.
- Tanushree Pareek, a resident of Rajasthan, led the passing-out parade at the BSF Academy as the first woman field officer. She was also felicitated at the ceremony.
Cheteshwar Pujara sets a record by scoring the most runs in a Test season by an Indian
- Pujara achieved the landmark for scoring the most runs in a Test season, surpassing the mark of 1269 by Gautam Gambhir which he achieved in the 2008/09 season.
- He has scored 1316 runs at an average of 65.8 in the season, the most ever by an Indian batsman in Tests.
India wins 73 medals in 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games including 37 golds held at Graz, Schladming and Ramsau in Austria
- India’s special athletes gave an impressive performance and won 73 medals in the recently concluded 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games held in Austria.
- This year’s edition witnessed 2,600 athletes from over 105 countries competing with each other and the Special Olympics Bharat (SOB) team won 37 golds, 10 silver and 26 bronze medals.
- This year’s Olympics included even disciplines including Alpine Skiing, Snow Boarding, Snow Shoeing, Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Floor Hockey, Floor Ball (and Unified floor Ball), at the mega event.
- India dominated in three team events – Floor Hockey (male), Unified Floorball and Traditional Floorball bagging 30 medals in total which was the highest tally in a single day. Along with this, the special women team also won 16 bronze medals. An important gold medal came in The Unified Floorball (Male) event where India defeated Nigeria while the Floor Hockey team crushed Lithuania 7-2. India took its tally to 73 medals by winning 8-0 against Austria.
- India also won 10 medals in Alpine skiing including 3 gold, 3 silver and 4 bronze medals. The snowboarding team also bagged 8 medals that included 4 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals. 5 more medals came in Snow Shoeing and 4 medals were won in Speed and figure skating. In the process, Himachal’s Megha became the first Indian to win a gold medal in the games
Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix
- Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel won the Australian Grand Prix for Ferrari.
- It was Vettel’s fourth win for Ferrari and his first since the Singapore Grand Prix in September 2015.