Daily Current Affairs 27th January, 2017
India inks deal with UAE for strategic oil reserves storage
- India has signed a deal with United Arab Emirates (UAE), fifth biggest oil supplier as part of its quest for energy security and strategic reserve system.
- The deal allows UAE’s Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (ADNOC) to fill half (about 6 million barrels of oil) of an underground crude oil storage facility at Mangaluru, Karnataka.
- India is building emergency storage in underground caverns to hold 36.87 million barrels of crude, or about 10 days of its average daily oil demand. This move aims to hedge against energy security risks as it imports most of its oil needs.
Pharmaceutical Firm Johnson & Johnson to Buy Actelion for $30 Billion
- The U.S. healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson buys Switzerland based bio-pharmaceutical firm, Actelion, for $30billion (27.9 billion euros).
Charge on digital payments above Rs. 50,000 mooted:
- Committee of CMs The Committee of CMs headed by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu has recommended levying a handling charge for cash payments above Rs. 50,000.
- It also has pitched for tax breaks to consumers and merchants using digital modes of payments.
- Moreover it also recommended abolition of the merchant discount rate (MDR).
- The committee was formed to prepare the road map for rapid adoption of digital payment methods.
Government launches Rubber Soil Information System
- The Union Government has launched Rubber Soil Information System (RubSIS), an online system for recommending appropriate mix of fertilizers to plantations of rubber growers depending upon their soil nature.
- It was launched for Kottayam (Kerela), the largest rubber growing district of India which will be extended to the entire traditional rubber growing region i.e. the states of Kerela and Tamilnadu.
Kerala CM Inaugurates e-Health Kerala scheme at Peroorkada Hospital
- The Chief Minister of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan launched the IT Project, e-Health Kerala which is named Jeevan Rekha , at Peroorkada Model Government Hospital
- The project has been developed by the Health Department in association with the state IT Mission.
- It aims to create a centralized database that will have the complete healthcare records of all the citizens in the state through the digitization of government hospitals.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Japan successfully launches first military communications satellite
- Japan has successfully launched its first military communications satellite Kirameki-2
- It was launched on board of H-2A rocket that lifted off from the Tanegashima Space Center in southern Japan.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
68th Republic Day: Ashok Chakra to Havaldar Hangpan Dada for sacrificing his life for nation
- Havaldar Hangpan Dada, who killed four terrorists before laying down his life in Kupwara on May 26 last year, has been awarded Ashok Chakra, the highest peace time gallantry award.
- His wife Changsen received the award from the President Pranab Mukherjee during the 68th Republic Day Parade in New Delhi.
National Geoscience Award for Keshav Krishna
- A Keshav Krishna, a scientist at the National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) has been selected for the National Geoscience Award for 2016.
- The award given by the Union Ministry of Mines is in recognition of his work in the field of geo-environmental studies.
- He is presently involved in studies on environmental risk assessment related heavy metal contamination in soil, sediments and water in industrial areas, abandoned mine sites and their interactions with the environmental pollutants.
Usain Bolt Loses an Olympic Medal due to Positive Doping of Team-Mate Nesta Carter
- Jamaican sprinter, Usain Bolt will have to hand back one of his nine Olympic gold medals won in the 4x100m relay event at the 2008 Beijing Olympics due to his Jamaican team-mate Nesta Carter who was tested positive for a banned substance.
Pankaj Advani wins 7th National Billiards Championship
- India’s top seeded cueist Pankaj Advani won his seventh National Billiards Championship.