Daily Current Affairs 29th December, 2016
India Signs Agreement with Bhutan for green and sustainable construction
- India has signed an agreement with Bhutan for assistance in green and sustainable construction of infrastructure in the Himalayan kingdom.
Govt launches Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative
- Government of India launched Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative, aiming at strengthening health centres in open defecation-free blocks.
- The objective of this initiative is to strengthen community health centres in 708 ODF blocks across the country to enable them to achieve higher levels of cleanliness and hygiene.
- It is joint initiative of Ministry of Health and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation to achieve better health outcomes through improved sanitation and increase awareness on healthy lifestyles.
Cabinet approves International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval to the proposal of Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) for ratification of ISA’s Framework Agreement by India.
- The ISA aims to bring together more than 121 solar resource rich nations for coordinated research, low cost financing and rapid deployment.
- India has already committed the required support of operationalization of ISA.
- ISA will put India globally in a leadership role in climate and renewable energy issues. It will also give a platform to showcase its solar programmes.
CCEA approves Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism affected areas
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism (LWE) Affected Areas to improve rural road connectivity in worst LWE affected districts critical from security and communication point of view.
Cabinet approves ordinance to make possession of old notes penal offence
- The Cabinet has approved promulgation of an Ordinance to make possession of a large number of scrapped banknotes a penal offence making holding of old 1,000 and 500 rupee notes after March 31st 2017 beyond a threshold amount a criminal offence.
- It will come into force once it gets Presidential assent as per Article 123 of the Constitution.
- The ordinance amends Reserve Bank of India Act to provide legislative support for scrapping the demonetised banknotes that are not returned. It removes the liability of the government and the central bank on the demonetised high-denomination notes to prevent future litigations.
- It provides a limited window for depositing the cancelled notes at select RBI branches until March 31, 2017.
South Indian Bank has introduced a full-fledged NRI-focused mobile banking app
- South Indian Bank has introduced a full-fledged NRI-focused mobile banking application called SIB Mirror+ across major mobile platforms.
SCIENCE AND TECH
China launches 2 high resolution remote sensing satellites
- China has successfully launched pair two high-resolution remote sensing satellites SuperView-1 01 and 02 to get commercial images.
- These satellites were launched on-board of Long March 2D rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province. They will provide commercial images at 0.5-meter resolution.
Former IAS officer Anil Baijal to be next Delhi Lt Governor
- Anil Baijal has replaced Najeeb Jung as the next Delhi Lt Governor. Baijal, a 1969-batch IAS officer, served as home secretary in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government
- He will succeed Najeeb Jung who had resigned before completion of his term and is returning to teaching profession.
Meghalaya to host National Games 2022
- Meghalaya has got the opportunity to hold the National Games 2022 with its 50 years of statehood.
- It had successfully co-hosting the 12th South Asian Games with Assam early in 2016.