Daily Current Affairs 29th January, 2017
Denmark to appoint world’s first ‘digital ambassador’
- Denmark has announced it will appoint a ‘digital ambassador’ to manage its relationship with technology giants like Google and Apple, becoming the first country to do so.
- The new ambassadorship will open a new Danish diplomatic line to the United States beyond Washington for tech diplomacy to build ties with some of the world’s top tech companies, including Apple, Google, and Microsoft.
IndiaPost becomes 3rd entity to receive licence to start payment bank operations
- IndiaPost has become the third entity to receive a final license last week from the Central Bank to start its payment bank operations. Country’s largest telecom service provider Bharti Airtel and digital payments firm Paytm are the other two to have received the license while only Airtel has started operations so far.
- The government has also appointed AP Singh has interim MD and CEO of the India Post Payment Bank.
First investors’ summit for north-east held in Shillong
- The first ever Investors’ Summit for the north eastern states was held in Shillong, capital city of Meghalaya.
- The theme of the summit was ‘Exploring Opportunities in North East Region’ (NER).
- The two–day summit aimed to showcase the region as a global destination for investments. It focussed on manufacturing in textiles and allied sectors of the region as it has huge potential for investments.
Alibaba’s financial arm acquires MoneyGram
- Ant Financial, e-commerce giant Alibaba’s financial arm, has reached an agreement to acquire American money-transfer major MoneyGram for $880 million, in a deal that will expand the firm’s business in the US after India and Thailand.
National Immunization Day: 29th January 2017
- President Pranab Mukherjee has launched the countrywide programme for 2017 by administering polio drops to children aged below five years at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan. The programme will cover around 17 crore children aged under five years in an effort to maintain the country’s polio-free status.
2017 Australian Open: Roger Federer wins men’s title
- For the first time since 2010, Roger Federer has won the Australian Open, beating long-time rival Rafael Nadal in the finals in Melbourne, Australia on 29th January 2017. Federer won a closely contested five-set showdown, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
Australian Open: Serena beats sister Venus for record 23rd slam title
- In Australian Open tennis, Serena Williams beat her sister Venus Williams in the final today to win her 23rd Grand Slam singles title.