Daily Current Affairs 2nd April, 2017
PM Narendra Modi opens Asia’s longest tunnel
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 9.2 km long Chenani-Nashri all-weather road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway.
- The road tunnel will reduce the travel time between the two state capitals of Jammu and Srinagar by approximately two hours.
- The two-lane Chenani-Nashri tunnel is Asia’s longest bi-directional highway tunnel, which will cut the distance between Jammu and Srinagar to around 250 km from the current 350 km.
Post merger, SBI begins operations as unified entity
- The State Bank of India, the country’s largest lender has started functioning as unified entity from 01st April 2017 post merger of its five associate banks, besides Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- The five associate banks merged with the SBI are State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala and State Bank of Travancore.
- With the merger, the SBI joins the league of top 50 banks globally in terms of assets.
- The total customer base of the bank reaches 37 crore with a branch network of around 24,000 and nearly 59,000 ATMs across the country. The merged entity now has a deposit base of more than Rs 26 lakh-crore and advances level of Rs 18.50 lakh crore
Govt launches PowerTex India scheme for powerloom sector
- Union Textiles Minister, Ms. Smriti Irani launched PowerTex India Scheme on 1st April 2017 at Bhiwandi in Thane district of Maharashtra.
- It is a gamut of schemes aimed at development of powerloom sector in India with a special focus on small powerloom weavers. The scheme was simultaneously launched at 45 locations across India.
- Smriti Irani along with Maharashtra Chief Minister Mr. Devendra Fadnavis launched PowerTex India helpline for scheme related assistance. For nationwide publicity of scheme, a PowerTex van was also flagged off.
‘Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana’ launched in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- On 1st April 2017, Mr. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment launched, first of its kind “Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana” in Nellore; Andhra Pradesh aimed to make life comfortable for senior citizens of India.
- This scheme has been launched for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices to Senior Citizens belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) category who suffer from age related problems viz. hearing impairment, low vision, dental problems etc.
- These aids and devices will help them in performing their day to day functions without depending on any caregiver or family member.‘Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana’ launched in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- This scheme was proposed in Union Budget 2015-16 and is fully funded by Central Government. Money required to run this scheme will be drawn from Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund.
Second annual meeting of BRICS New Development Bank held in New Delhi
- New Delhi is playing host to Second Annual Meeting of the New Development Bank (NDB) also known colloquially as BRICS bank.
- This is the first time the meet is happening in India. MOUs were signed between NDB and European Investment Bank (EIB), European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Eurasian Development Bank (EDB) and International Investment Bank (IIB).
World Autism Awareness Day: 02nd April 2017
- The World Autism Awareness Day 2017 has been observed across the world on 2 April 2017. The 2017 theme for the day is “Toward Autonomy and Self-Determination”.
- World Autism Awareness Day is an internationally recognised day, encouraging Member States of the United Nations to take measures to raise awareness about children with autism throughout the world.
PERSONS IN NEWS
American singer & song writer Bob Dylan accepts Nobel literature award
- American singer and song writer Bob Dylan has finally accepted his Nobel Prize for literature, more than three months after the awards ceremony.
- The academy, which awards the coveted prize, ended prolonged speculation as to whether the 75-year-old troubadour would use a concert stopover in Stockholm to accept the gold medal and diploma awarded to him.