Daily Current Affairs 2nd July, 2017
Chinese heavy-lift carrier rocket launch fails
- China’s launch of a new heavy-lift rocket, the Long March-5 Y2, carrying what the government said was its heaviest ever satellite, failed on Sunday, official news agency Xinhua said.
- The same rocket type had been expected to take China’s latest lunar probe to the Moon this year and to return with samples.
- An anomaly occurred during the flight of the rocket,” Xinhua said after the rocket blasted off early evening from the southern island province of Hainan.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
PNB To Block All Maestro Debit Cards Soon
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) Maestro debit cards holders will face a card blockage if they fail to replace it with a more secure EMV chip based card by the end of this month.
- Punjab National Bank has identified that there are about one lakh customers with old Maestro debit cards and has started sending them SMSes as well.
- The replacement is as per RBI advisory issued in 2015, asking all the banks to migrate to a much secured EMV chip based cards, an official of the bank said.
GOVT SCHEME/DIGITAL INDIA
Health Ministry’s mobile app eVIN wins GSMA Asia Mobile Award
- Indigenously developed mobile application for digitising vaccine logistics, eVIN, has won the prestigious GSMA Asia Mobile Award 2017 (AMO) for outstanding contribution to the UN’s sustainable development goals in Asia.
- The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is an online real-time vaccine logistics management system developed and implemented by the Ministry of Health and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
AWARDS AND HONOURS
‘A Billion Colour Story’ film wins top award at UK festival
- A new film about Hindu-Muslim unity bagged the top prize at the annual London Indian Film Festival (LIFF).
- ‘A Billion Colour Story’, produced by Bollywood filmmaker Satish Kaushik and directed by Padmakumar Narasimhamurthy, won the Audience Award at the festival
Senior advocate KK Venugopal to succeed Mukul Rohatgi as attorney general
- President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday approved the appointment of senior advocate KK Venugopal as the next attorney general of India.
- Incumbent Mukul Rohatgi had declined an offer to extend his term.
- Venugopal had served as the additional solicitor general in former Prime Minister Morarji Desai’s government.
Shamma Jain appointed Indian envoy to Greece
- Senior diplomat Shamma Jain was today appointed as India’s ambassador to Greece.
- A 1983-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, Jain is currently serving as Indian envoy to Panama.
- Jain succeeds M Manimekalai as Indian envoy in Greece.
Eighth win in a row for Marc Marquez at Sachsenring
- Honda’s Marc Marquez continued his reign as ‘King of the Sachsenring’ with an eighth successive win at the German Grand Prix
- This Win sent him back to the top of the MotoGP championship standings on Sunday.
- The Spaniard, who has also started eight times in a row from pole position in Germany, was pushed hard by local hero Jonas Folger who finished a stirring second for the non-works Yamaha Tech3 team