Daily Current Affairs 30th January, 2017
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
INSAT-3DR to map farm fires in Haryana, Punjab
- INSAT-3DR works in tandem with INSAT-3D, operational since 2014, in sending raw data and high-resolution images, zoomed up to 1 kilometre near the earth’s surface, every 15 minutes.
- Next generation satellite INSAT-3DR has opened new frontiers in India’s weather forecasting and is set to equip the country with the ability to detect farm fires, which intensifies air pollution in the northern region seasonally.
World Leprosy Day observed on January 29, 2017
- The World Leprosy Day was observed on January 29, 2017 to raise global awareness of Leprosy, a deadly disease and spread awareness to the fact that it can be prevented, treated and cured. The day is annually observed around the world on the last Sunday of January.
- It was initiated in 1954 by French philanthropist and writer, Raoul Follereau.
- The day was chosen to coincide with the death anniversary of Indian freedom fighter and Father of nation Mahatma Gandhi’s assassination on January 30, 1948.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Madras Engineer Group adjudged best Republic Day contingent Indian Army’s
- Madras Engineer Group (MEG) was adjudged the best marching contingent among the Services in 2017 Republic Day parade.
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) was adjudged the best among the paramilitary forces.
- Among the 23 tableau representing states, the first position went to Arunachal Pradesh which had depicted the Yak dance.
- Tripura’s tableau based on ‘Hojagiri’ dance was adjudged the second best. The third position was shared by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.
- In the category of tableau representing Union Ministries/Departments, the first prize was won by Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, which depicted the theme ‘Transforming India through Skill Development.’
- The tableau by the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) which presented the concept of ‘Green India-Clean India’ was selected for a special prize by the jury.
PERSONS IN NEWS
France’s Iris Mittenaere crowned Miss Universe 2016
- France’s Iris Mittenaere was crowned Miss Universe 2016 at the pageant held at the Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines. She was crowned by Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach of Philippines.
appointed new Commissioner of Delhi Police
- Senior IPS officer Amulya Kumar Patnaik was appointed as the new Commissioner of Delhi Police. He succeeded Alok Kumar Verma, who has been appointed as the new chief of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
SC appoints Committee of Administrators headed by Vinod Rai to run BCCI
- The Supreme Court has appointed former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai as head of four-member Committee of Administrators to run Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- Other three members of the committee are noted historian Ramachandra Guha, Indian women’s team captain Diana Edulji and managing director of IDFC Limited Vikram Limaye
PV Sindhu wins Syed Modi International badminton tournament
- Indian shuttler PV Sindhu won the Syed Modi International Grand Prix Gold after beating Indonesia’s Gregoria Mariska in the final.