Daily Current Affairs 4th December, 2016
India, Qatar inks five agreements
- India and Qatar have signed five agreements including in the field of visas, cyberspace and investments.
- Not only an important trading partner for India in the Gulf region, Qatar is also the largest supplier of LNG to it, accounting for 66 per cent of the total imports in 2015-16.
- Indians form the largest expatriate community in Qatar and their positive contribution in the progress and development of their host country is well recognised. There are over expatriate 630,000 Indians in Qatar.
- It is a sovereign country located in Western Asia, occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula
- Capital and largest city -Doha
- Official languages -Arabic
- Religion -Islam
- Emir -Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani
- Deputy Emir -Abdullah bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani
- Prime Minister -Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani
- Currency -Riyal
La La Land named best film by New York Film Critics Circle
- Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling starrer romantic drama La La Land has been chosen as the best film of 2016 by the New York Film Critics Circle.
- The film, directed by Damien Chazelle, is widely tipped to be an Oscar frontrunner.
Public Financial Management System to save interest costs of Government
- The electronic fund tracking mechanism will allow the government to monitor and access the more than Rs.1 lakh crore of idle funds lying with it under various heads.
- Regardless of whether the Goods and Services Tax is implemented from April 2017 or not, the PFMS would be ready and will be integrated with the IT network of the GST by then.
Public Financial Management System
- PFMS is an electronic fund tracking mechanism compiles, collates and makes available in real-time, information regarding all government schemes.
- Besides, it will significantly provide government real-time information on resource availability and utilisation across schemes.
- In addition it allow government expenditure to adopt a Just-in- Time (JIT) approach, with payments made only when they are needed.
RBI to introduce new 20 & 50 rupee currency notes
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is going to issue new currency notes of Twenty and Fifty rupees denomination in the Mahatma Gandhi Series-2005.
- All old the previous currency notes of old Rs. 20 and Rs. 50 denomination issued by the Bank will continue to be legal tender.
The Archeological survey of India (ASI) found Pre-historic camping site in Ladakh
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has found an ancient camping site used by pre-historic man, at an altitude of about 4,200 metres near Saser La in Nubra Valley, Ladakh.
- The camping site is a place where hunter-gatherers in the ancient times stayed temporarily before they moved on to another place.
- This camping site is located in Saser La which leads to the Karakoram Pass.It was used for a seasonal settlement not a permanent settlement.
4 December: Navy Day
- The Indian Navy Day is observed annually on 4 December to celebrate the magnificence, achievements and role of the naval force of the country.
- Indian Navy is one of most potent maritime forces in the world and the most lethal in Indian Ocean.
- On the occasion of 45th Navy Day, President Pranab Mukherjee extended greetings to all members of the Indian Navy and their families.
- The observance of the day commemorates the launch of Operation Trident by the Indian Navy against Pakistan on 4th December, 1971.
India to train Qatar police to host FIFA World Cup 2022
- India will train Qatar police for handling the security during the FIFA World Cup 2022 scheduled to be held in that country.
- The training arrangement was agreed upon during a meeting between Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Abdullah Bin Nasser Bin Khalifa Al Thani and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi.
India women’s team beat Pakistan by 17 runs to win Asia Cup
- India women’s cricket team won the Asia Cup T20 after beating arch-rivals Pakistan in the final of the regional tournament by 17 runs.
- Played in Bangkok, India had beaten Pakistan in the group stages too and made it two-in-two in the final on 04th December 2016.