Daily Current Affairs 5th August, 2017
Venkaiah Naidu Is New Vice President of India
- Venkaiah Naidu is going to succeed Hamid Ansari as the new Vice-President of India. Naidu’s victory was a foregone conclusion, the NDA candidate having the support of a majority of MPs who ally with the BJP.
- The Election Commission said that 771 votes were polled, of which 760 were valid and 11 were valid. Venkaiah Naidu secured 516 and Gopalkrishna Gandhi 241 votes. This means, that Venkaiha Naidu will become the 13th Vice President of India.
Motor Vehicles Bill sent to RS panel
- A Bill seeking to bring radical changes in the transport sector by amending the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, has been sent to a Select Committee of the Rajya Sabha.
- The bill, which would amend the nearly 30-year old Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 was passed by the Lok Sabha last year but had got stuck in the Rajya Sabha where the opposition had demanded that it be sent to the Select Committee for proper scrutiny. The parliamentary standing committee had also examined it.
- The Bill amends the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 to address issues such as third party insurance, regulation of taxi aggregators, and road safety.
- Under the Act, the liability of the third party insurer for motor vehicle accidents is unlimited. The Bill caps the maximum liability for third party insurance in case of a motor accident at Rs 10 lakh in case of death and at five lakh rupees in case of grievous injury.
- The Bill provides for a Motor Vehicle Accident Fund which would provide compulsory insurance cover to all road users in India for certain types of accidents.
- The Bill defines taxi aggregators, guidelines for which will be determined by the central government.
- The Bill also provides for: (i) amending the existing categories of driver licensing, (ii) recall of vehicles in case of defects, (iii) protection of good samaritans from any civil or criminal action, and (iv) increase of penalties for several offences under the 1988 Act.
Bangalore launches India’s first ever Heli-taxi service
- Bengaluru has launched a helicopter taxi service connecting its International airport (Kempegowda International Airport, KIA) to Electronics city, becoming the first in the country to do so.
- The main aim of the move is to ease the commuting process for people in the city, beat the city’s extreme traffic scene and save precious time. The service, operated by Thumby Aviation Private Limited, is expected to begin in three months. It would reduce an otherwise over-two hours-long travel time by cab to just about 15 minutes.
- The company has deployed one helicopter for now, Bell 407 chopper that has the capacity to seat 6 passengers. The service is expected to eventually expand to other areas including Whitefield and the HAL airport.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
FCI let over 4 lakh tonne wheat rot away: CAG
- The Comptroller and Auditor General of India has said in an audit report on the Food Corporation of India (FCI) that more than 4.72 lakh tonnes of wheat valued at Rs700.30 crore got damaged in Punjab till March 2016 due to delay in implementation of the private entrepreneur scheme which was expected to increase the storage capacity of foodgrains in the state.
- The damaged wheat was declared as non-issuable for public distribution as it was stored in open areas. The auditor also found that the stateowned FCI sold wheat to bulk consumers at a rate below the cost under open market sale scheme during 2013-14, leading to non-recovery of Rs38.99 crore.
New Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) by the Name “BHARAT 22”
- Bharat 22 consists of 22 stocks of CPSE’s, PSB’s & strategic holding of SUUTI. Bharat 22 is a well Diversified portfolio with 6 sectors (Basic Materials, Energy, Finance, FMCG, Industrials & Utilities).
- The Bharat 22 Index will be rebalanced annually. ICICI Prudential AMC will be the ETF Manager and Asia Index Private Limited (JV BSE and S& P Global) will be the Index Provider.
GOVT SCHEME/DIGITAL INDIA
Maharashtra Government Launches Two Online Portals MahaDBT, MahaVASTU
- Maharashtra Government has launched two online portals MahaDBT and MahaVASTU to streamline the process of direct benefit transfer (DBT) and to bring in more transparency in construction sector.
- MahaDBT portal: It is an Aadhaar-authenticated electronic mechanism that will enable direct transfer of benefits for over 40 schemes currently implemented.
- MahaVASTU portal: It is an online building permission management system, through which construction approvals will be sanctioned with full transparency.
Delhi Police Ties Up with Uber for Women Safety
- Passengers can now access the Delhi Police’s women safety mobile application ‘Himmat’ via cab aggregator Uber’s application while travelling in taxis.
- This is Delhi Police’s first partnership with a technology company to intensify its focus on the safety of women in the city.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Cattle trade ban rules were not placed before Parliament
- An RTI response has pointed out that rules banning sale of cattle for slaughter in livestock markets were not laid in Parliament, thus making its enforcement an illegal exercise.
- The parliamentary procedure makes it mandatory for the government to lay any new rule it notified before Parliament. Besides, Section 38A of the Prevention of Cruelty Act of 1960 mandates that any rule made by the Centre under it ought to be laid before each House of Parliament “as soon as it is made.”
Government to Develop Green Airports in Andhra Pradesh
- As a part of Government of India’s initiative to develop green airports, two airports in Andhra Pradesh- Tirupati and Vijayawada are going to go completely green. AAI has commenced installation of 1MWp solar power plant at Tirupathi and Vijaywada Airports.
- It has also completed installation of solar power plants at 29 airports/locations with a total capacity of 12.84 MWp.
Veteran Actress Sharada Selected for ‘Prem Nazir’ Award
- Veteran actress and national award winner Sharada has been selected for this year’s Prem Nazir Award.
- Sharada had won three national awards with the first being for her performance in 1968 tragedy film “Thulabharam”, which was remade in Tamil also. She has acted in several Telugu, Malayalam and Tamil films.
PERSONS IN NEWS
JK Rowling: World’s Highest Paid Author by Forbes
- Harry Potter creator JK Rowling has been named the world’s most highly-paid author with earnings of £72.2m ($95m).
- It is the first time that Rowling has topped Forbes’ list of the 10 highest earners in the global industry for the first time in almost 10 years. Other authors included in the list were Paula Hawkins and EL James.
Akshay Kumar Roped in as Brand Ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission in Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath today announced the appointment of Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar as the brand ambassador of the Swachh Bharat Mission in the state.
Air Marshal Hemant Narayan Bhagwat Appointed as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration of IAF
- Air Marshal Hemant Narayan Bhagwat took over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration (AOA) of Indian Air Force at Air Headquarters in New Delhi.
- Air Marshal Bhagwat, the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) and Vayu Sena Medal (VM) awardee, was commissioned in Administrative branch of the Indian Air Force in June 1981. After serving for seven years as an Air Traffic control Officer in three different operational bases of the IAF, he qualified as Parachute Jump Instructor and served in instructional capacity for fifteen years.
Prabhat Kumar as The Next Ambassador of India to The Republic of Kazakhstan
- Shri Prabhat Kumar, (IFS 1991), presently Ambassador of India to Colombia has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Kazakhstan.
AIFF Names Banerjee as Chairman of Transfers Dispute Committee
- The AIFF has appointed senior advocate Ushanath Banerjee as the chairman of a special committee. It will deal with the players’ transfer disputes’
PLACES IN NEWS
Mughalsarai to be Renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyay Railway Station
- The Centre recently approved the Adityanath-led UP government’s proposal to rename the Mughalsarai railway station after the Jan Sangh leader as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya (DDU) station.
Jadeja reaches 150 Test Wickets
- Ravindra Jadeja has become the 2nd fastest Indian to reach 150 Test Wickets.
- The 1st position is held by Ravichandran Ashwin.