Daily Current Affairs 5th February, 2017
Govt forms panel to improve Haj policy, look into subsidy issue
- The Centre has formed a six-member committee to give a report on ways to improve India’s Haj policy and also look into the issue of subsidy to the pilgrimage in light of 2012 Supreme Court order on gradually reducing and abolishing it by 2022.
- Former Consulate General of India (CGI), Jeddah, Afzal Amanullah has been appointed as convener of the high-level panel.
Startup acquires Google’s satellite imaging business
- American startup Planet Labs, that launches small satellites into orbit and sells the imagery, has announced its acquisition of Google’s ‘Terra Bella‘ satellite business.
- As part of the agreement, 60 Google employees will join the startup founded by ex-NASA scientists.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
Alibaba-made app helps find 611 missing Chinese children
- A mobile app developed by Alibaba helped Chinese authorities recover 611 missing children last year. The ‘Tuanyuan‘ app, which means ‘reunion’ in Chinese, sends push notifications with photos and descriptions to users who are close to the location of a child’s disappearance.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Alastair Cook awarded Order of the British Empire
- England Test captain AlastairCook has been honoured with Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE).
- Cook is the only England player to have scored over 10,000 runs in Tests and has also led England in the most number of Tests.
Arun Kumar succeeds Richard Rekhy as KPMG India chairman
- KPMG India board has elected Arun M Kumar as chairman and CEO to lead the India operations of the consulting and accounting major.
- He succeeds Richard Rekhy, who stepped down in November last year following a large-scale exodus of key people from the advisory team.
PLACES IN NEWS
‘President Pranab’ to bloom at Delhi’s Mughal Gardens by March first week
- As the Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhavan has reopened on 05th February 2017, visitors will for the first time see roses named after the Indian President and his wife, growing next to ‘ Abraham Lincoln’, ‘Christian Dior’ and ‘Queen Elizabeth’ . ‘
- President Pranab’, a crossbred variety of rose which was planted last month along with another variety of rose named ‘Suvra Mukherjee’,named after the President`s wife who passed away in August 2015 ,will blossom in spring.