Daily Current Affairs 6th January, 2017
Sponsored ads in media to be part of candidate’s expenditure
- Election Commission has said that sponsored advertisements on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter would be included in the total election expenditure of a candidate.
- Voice messages of candidates, even if they were received from other states, would be added to the expenditure of the candidate.
- Total amount of expenditure, of which account is to be kept under section 77 of Representation of People’s Act 1951 and which is incurred or authorised in any assembly constituency in connection with General Elections to the Legislative Assembly by any candidate, is Rs28 lakh.
Haryana achieves sex ratio of 900 girls per 1000 boys
- According to Civil Registration System (CRS) data Haryana achieved a sex ratio of 900 girls as against 1000 boys in 2016.
- This is much in contrast to the statistics of 2011, when Haryana had the worst sex ratio of 834:1000 among all states in the country.
Andhra Pradesh govt to give scientists of the state Rs 100 crore for Nobel Prize:
- AP government has announced that it will give scientists of the state Rs 100 crore for Nobel Prize.
- This reward is about 17 times more than the prize money given out with the Nobel award, which is about Rs 5.96 crore (Swedish kronor 8 million).
- No other state government in India has perhaps made such a grand offer to its scientists.
Bitcoin nears all-time high as it becomes ‘safe haven’ asset
- It is all set to become a new safe haven asset as the world grapples with growing economic uncertainty.
- It has fluctuated wildly since it was created in 2009.
- Recently Bitcoin broke the $1,100 barrier on the Bitcoin Price Index to continue a dizzying rise that made it the best performing currency of 2016.
- Bitcoins are encrypted digital coins created by supercomputers and then traded online or exchanged for goods and services.
- They are not supported by any country’s government or central bank.
SIDBI ties up with LIC for capital support to enterprises
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) on Thursday said it has tied up with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) for augmenting capital support to enterprises in the country.
Karnataka Bank launches group Personal Accident Insurance Scheme named KBL Suraksha in association with Universal Sompo General Insurance
- Karnataka Bank has launched a month-long campaign to promote a group personal accident insurance scheme for savings bank account-holders. ‘KBL Suraksha’, which was launched on January 2, will be in force till January 31.
- All savings bank account-holders of the bank in the age group of 18-70 years can subscribe to this scheme by paying an annual premium of ₹100 for ₹10 lakh and ₹50 for ₹5 lakh coverage.
Book on Dr. Kalam titled ‘The People’s President: Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam’ released
- Vice President Hamid Ansari on 4 January 2017 released a book titled The People’s President: Dr APJ Abdul Kalam penned by the President’s press secretary S M Khan.
Om Puri passes away after a massive heart attack
- Veteran actor Om Puri has passed away after a massive heart attack.The actor was 66.
- Om Puri was an Indian actor who has appeared in mainstream commercial Pakistani, Indian, British, and Hollywood, Independent films and art films.
- He was credited for being part of parallel, new-wave cinema along with Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil that brought change in the film industry back in the 1980s.
PLACES IN NEWS
Island Tourism Festival 2017 to begins in Andaman & Nicobar
- The Island Tourism Festival 2017 will begin today at Port Blair in Andaman & Nicobar islands.
- During the 10-day event, performances by the cultural troupes from mainland will help the Islanders renew their cultural ties with mainland India.
4th Assam International Agri-Horti show to begin in Guwahati
- Fourth Assam International Agri-Horti show will begin in Guwahati, Assam.
- State Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal will inaugurate the show.
Government constitutes Injeti Srinivas Committee to frame National Sports Code
- Union Sports Ministry has constituted committee to frame comprehensive National Sports Development Code across sports disciplines.
- It will be headed by Injeti Srinivas, Sports Secretary.