Daily Current Affairs 7th February, 2017
5.8 magnitude earthquake hits Uttarakhand, tremors also felt in Delhi-NCR
- A moderate intensity earthquake measuring 5.8 on Richter scale hit Uttarakhand with tremors also felt in Delhi and other parts of northern India.
- Operations head at National Seismological Bureau JL Gautam said, the epicentre of the quake was Rudraprayag district in Uttarakhand.
The Asia LPG Summit
- The WLPGA Asia LPG Summit was recently inaugurated in Delhi.
- In this event, India will showcase its various initiatives such as the Ujjwala, Direct Benefit Transfer and ‘Give-it-up’ schemes aimed at increasing access of its population to LPG.
- The WLPGA (World LPG Association) is organizing its major global event ‘the WLPGA Asia LPG Summit’ for the first time in India in partnership with the major Oil PSUs Indian Oil, HPCL, and BPCL.
Railways Approves Rail Project in Andaman and Nicobar
- The Ministry of Railway is set to approve the project that will construct 240-km broad gauge railway line connecting Port Blair with Diglipur, the largest town on Andaman Island. It will connect the two islands with bridges and stations along the coast.
- Currently the Andaman & Nicobar islands have no rail network.
- On completion, it will give fillip to tourism from the current 4.5 lakh visitors a year to around 6 lakh a year.
SC clears Government’s plan to verify mobile phone users through Aadhaar
- The Supreme Court has approved the government‘s plan to record the identification details of mobile subscribers through an e-KYC (Know Your Customer) mechanism linked to Aadhaar in a bid to enhance national security and prevent fake users.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
New technology to make data transfer 10 times faster than 5G
- Scientists have developed a next generation system which can transmit digital data over 10 times faster than 5G mobile networks, an advance that will pave the way for faster downloads and improve in-flight network connection speeds.
- Researchers have announced the development of a terahertz (THz) transmitter capable of transmitting digital data at a rate exceeding 100 gigabits per second over a single channel using the 300-gigahertz band.
- The THz band is a new and vast frequency resource expected to be used for future ultrahigh-speed wireless communications. The research group has developed a transmitter that achieves a communication speed of 105 gigabits per second using the frequency range from 290 GHz to 315 GHz.
- This range of frequencies are currently unallocated but fall within the frequency range from 275 GHz to 450 GHz.
- Terahertz could offer ultrahigh-speed links to satellites, which can only be wireless. That could, in turn, significantly boost in-flight network connection speeds.
- Other possible applications include fast download from contents servers to mobile devices and ultrafast wireless links between base stations.
- Another, completely new possibility offered by terahertz wireless is high-data-rate minimum-latency communications.
World’s longest flight lands in New Zealand
- The world’s longest commercial flight landed in New Zealand with the arrival of Qatar Airways’ Boeing 777-200LR flight QR920 after completing record journey of 14,535 km between Doha and Auckland.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Indian-Origin British Sculptor Anish Kapoor wins 2017 Genesis Prize
- Renowned Indian-origin British sculptor Anish Kapoor (62) was bestowed with the prestigious 2017 Genesis Prize on by Israel for his utmost contribution for Jewish community and Jewish values.
- He has made enormous contribution towards the arts of the Jewish community and is regarded as the most influential and innovative artists of his generation.
- He had created the Holocaust Memorial for Liberal Jewish Synagogue in London.
PLACES IN NEWS
Andhra Pradesh: First Smart Police Station inaugurated
- In Andhra Pradesh, the first Smart Police Station, having look and feel of a corporate-style office, started functioning.
- Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated the first model police station at Nagarampalem in the capital region Amaravati.He also inaugurated the second model police station in old Guntur town.
- It is fully air-conditioned station has a staff room, dormitory, mini control room, a reception chamber and individual enclosures for the Station House Officer (SHO) and three Sub-Inspectors. It is equipped with custody room and also CCTV (Closed circuit television cameras) network around the station for closer surveillance of staff behaviour and movement of visitors.
- BioAsia, the annual flagship event of the Telangana government, has begun in Hyderabad. BioAsia is the 14th edition of this event.
- The event agenda will touch upon many areas ranging from innovation and R&D, manufacturing, digital healthcare, diagnostics and hospital infections to anti-microbial resistance.
- BioAsia seeks to enhance, enrich and encourage newer innovations, path-breaking discoveries and effective solutions in the industry by offering a vibrant global platform for convergence of the key stakeholders – Biotech & Biopharma Companies, research institutions, investors, service providers, policy makers, regulators and analysts.
- Organized by the Department of Industries and Commerce, Government of Telangana, this event has emerged as a preeminent technology and bio-business convention in Asia for Life sciences, pharmaceuticals and healthcare.