Daily Current Affairs 7th November, 2016
India, Sri Lanka sign pact to address fishermen crisis
- India and Sri Lanka have signed an agreement under which a hotline will be set up between officials of the two countries to address the fishermen crisis.
- It also set up procedures to return arrested fishermen and have a minister-level meeting every few months on the issue.
About Sri Lanka
- Capital -Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte(Administrative),Colombo (Commercial)
- Largest city -Colombo
- Official languages -Sinhalese Tamil
- Recognized -English
- President -Maithripal Sirisena
- PrimE Minister -Ranil Wickremsinghe
India rises to second place in global business optimism index
- The latest Grant Thornton International Business Report for the July-September quarter has placed India 2nd on the global scale for business optimism.
- During the April-June 2016 period, India was ranked at the third position after being on top for two consecutive quarters. Indonesia took the top spot, with the Philippines coming in third.
‘Lost’ Chandrabhaga river found in Odisha
- Scientists from Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur) claimed to have found evidence confirming the existence of a mythical Indian river, Chandrabhaga.
- This is the second among such findings.
- In October 2016, KS Valdiya led expert committee had found that Saraswati River did exist.
- The IIT study aimed to verify this myth.
PLACES IN NEWS
Odisha- lost Chandrabhaga river found
- It is an ancient mythical river believed to have existed at a distance of about two km from the 13th century Sun Temple at Konark (built by King Narasimhadeva I of Eastern Ganga Dynastyin 1255 CE.), a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Odisha.
- It has been mentioned prominently in ancient literature.
- Besides, almost all lore regarding Konark, including illustrations and photographs, indicate presence of the river in proximity of temple.
- However at present, no trace of any water body is at present visible in proximity of temple.
- However, Chandrabhaga Beach is situated three km east of the Sun temple of Konark, in the Puri district in the state of Odisha, India
- It is 30 km from the city of Puri.
- Formerly Chandrabhaga was considered a place of natural cure for lepers.
SCIENCE AND TECH
128th anniversary of Sir CV Raman being celebrated on 07th November
- The 128th anniversary of Nobel laureate Bharat Ratna Sir CV Raman is being celebrated on 07 November.
About CV Raman
- Born on November 7, 1888 at Thiruvanaikaval in Tiruchirapalli Tamil Nadu.
- Sir CV Raman won the Nobel prize in Physics 1930 for his discovery -Raman effect – the scattering of light which makes the sea and clear sky look blue.
RBI appoints M Rajeshwar Rao as Executive Director
- The Reserve Bank has appointed M Rajeshwar Rao as Executive Director (ED) following G Mahalingam’s voluntary retirement from the central bank.
- As Executive Director, Rao will look after Department of Statistics and Information Management, Financial markets Operations Department and International Department.
BJP’s Avinash Khanna all set to be appointed NHRC member
- BJP Vice President Avinash Rai Khanna is all set to be appointed as a member of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) with a high-level selection panel headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi clearing his name.
- The 55-year-old former Rajya Sabha member from Punjab and BJP in-charge of Jammu and Kashmir will perhaps be the first active politician to be appointed as a member of NHRC.
Aniruddha Rajput elected to UN’s International Law Commission
- Indian lawyer, Aniruddha Rajput has been elected as a member International Law Commission (ILC), a top body of legal experts of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- Rajput is among the 34 individuals elected by the UNGA as members of the ILC.
- He is India’s first time candidate to the Commission and youngest among the group.
- He is also the first Indian nominee chosen from outside the close circuit of lawyers of the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
Petra Kvitova wins 2016 WTA Elite Singles Trophy
- Czech Republic’s Petra Kvitova on 6 November 2016 won the 2016 WTA Elite Singles Trophy.
- She defeated Ukrainian Elina Svitolina 6-4, 6-2 to grab the title at Zhuhai, China.
Henri Kontinen, John Peers win 2016 BNP Paribas Masters Doubles title
- Henri Kontinen and John Peers have won the ATP World Tour Masters Doubles title at the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris.
- Kontinen and Peers defeated top-seeded Frenchmen Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut 6-4, 3-6, 10-6 to claim the title.
Vice President of India released a book by Dr. Shashi Tharoor
- The book is ‘An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India’ .
- The author rightly points out that British rule in India was effectively and regularly supplemented by “famine, forced migration and brutality” – the ‘three examples of why British rule over India was despotic and anything but enlightened’.