Daily Current Affairs 9th April, 2017
India, Russia team up to promote innovation and R&D
- India has signed a joint declaration with Russia to promote innovation and the R&D ecosystem between the two countries.
- ‘The declaration was signed between the Department of Science and Technology and the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation on the sidelines of the Global R&D Summit 2017.
- With this collaboration, there will be an effort to promote innovation and technology entrepreneurship through the development of long-term cooperation, co-innovation and direct contacts between Russian and Indian innovation clusters.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
Flipkart Buys eBay India
- India’s largest e-commerce player Flipkart buys eBay’s India business, and closing a $1.4 billion fund-raising round from Tencent, eBay and Microsoft.
- In exchange for an equity stake in Flipkart, eBay has agreed to make a $500 million cash investment in and sell its eBay.in business to Flipkart.
Samsung India’s R&D unit tops chart of IT patent applicants
- Samsung R&D Institute India filed the maximum number of patent applications in the IT sector in 2015-16, followed by home-grown TCS and Wipro according to Indian Patent Office survey.
- In the scientific and research and development organizations category, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has topped the chart. Indian Patent Office comes under the Commerce and Industry Ministry.
Smita Sandhane appointed MD of Saraswat Bank
- Saraswat Bank, the largest lender in the co-operative space, has appointed Smita Sandhane as its Managing Director (MD) with effect from 01st April 2017.
- She is the first woman chief of India’s largest urban co-operative bank.
12th Indo-Mongolian Joint Military Exercise Nomadic Elephant held in Vairengte
- The 12th edition Indo-Mongolian Joint Military Exercise Nomadic Elephant 2017 has begun at Vairengte in Mizoram.
- Vairengte houses Indian Army’s elite Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School. The first joint Nomadic Elephant was held in 2004 and since then it is annually held. It seeks to promote military associations between India and Mongolia..
Indian-origin educationist wins ‘Asian Businesswoman of Year’ award
- 65-year-old Dame Asha Khemka, Principal and CEO of West Nottinghamshire College, was honoured for her efforts in the field of education and skills at the Asian Business Awards ceremony on Friday.
- The event, which took place at the famous Edgbaston cricket ground in the city, also marked the launch of the ‘Asian Rich List’ for the Midlands to highlight the high net worth Asians in the region.
- Other winners at the event included Morningside Pharmaceuticals which received the Asian Business of the Year Award; Kailash Suri, Managing Director of Reel Cinemas, who won Entrepreneur of the Year; and Nishti Ismail, founder of Nishti’s Choice, awarded for being a Community Champion.
PLACES IN NEWS
Bengal gets 23rd district: West Burdwan
- West Burdwan district was carved out of Burdwan on Friday by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, making it the 23rd district.
- Mamata said 44,500 flats under housing scheme are being built in subsidence-affected areas at the new district. “Besides 24 special need support units, 5 sick neo-natal care units, 2 multi super-speciality hospitals would be built in Bardhaman district,” she said.
- The chief minister also announced setting up a mishti (sweet) hub in the district to export sweets such as ‘langcha’, popular in Burdwan.
- The new district comprises Burdwan Paschim, Asansol and Durgapur. With the division, the agrarian parts of Burdwan now fall under East Burdwan, while the industrial hub will come under West Burdwan, which has two sub-divisions – Asansol Sadar and Durgapur.
UP govt to build music village in Bismillah Khan’s honour
- The Uttar Pradesh Government has given its clearance to the project of building a music village in Varanasi in honour of legendary Shehnai player Ustad Bismillah Khan. The village, to be named as ‘Bismillah Khan Sangeet Gram’, will have a museum centre, a training cum research centre among others things associated with musical ‘gharanas’.
- The project conceived by Padma Shri Soma Ghosh, the adopted daughter of the legendary shehnai player, got the clearance from chief minister Yogi Adityanath on Thursday.
Hamilton beats Vettel to win his fifth Chinese Grand Prix
- Mercedes’ British Formula One racer Lewis Hamilton defeated Ferrari’s four-time Formula One World Champion Sebastian Vettel to lift his fifth title at the Chinese Grand Prix.