Daily Current Affairs 9th February, 2017
US Senate votes to confirm Jeff Sessions as next US Attorney General
- In the US, Senate voted to confirm Republican Senator Jeff Sessions as the next Attorney General of the United States.
- The Alabama senator is known for his tough stance on immigration enforcement and his early support of President Donald Trump who nominated him for the job.
Government decides to open 56 Post Office Passport Seva Kendras
- The Government has decided to open 56 Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSK) at different locations in various states for delivering passport related services to the people.
- The states include Assam, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi (UT), Odisha, Rajasthan, Telangana and West Bengal.
- The objective of this partnership is to extend passport services on a larger scale and ensure wider area coverage. Earlier, the first project was started on a pilot basis at Mysuru in Karnataka and Dahod in Gujarat.
Aadhaar mandatory for receiving subsidised foodgrains from PDS shops
- Government The Union Government has made Aadhaar card mandatory for receiving subsidised foodgrains under National Food Security Act (NFSA) 2013 from all Public Distribution Scheme (PDS) shops.
- This condition will also applicable for all new beneficiaries.
- Those who do not have Aadhaar number or not have enrolled for Aadhaar can make application Aadhaar enrollment by 30 June 2017.
Arunachal Becomes First NE State to Implement e-Cabinet
- Arunachal Pradesh has become the first state in the northeast to implement e-Cabinet solution for the state cabinet members.
- Using this system, the cabinet members can access the cabinet notes before the meeting. The entire business of the Cabinet can be conducted using the e-Cabinet solution.
- Implemented by the department of Information Technology and Communication, the solution lets Ministers prepare for cabinet meetings, conduct them and review minutes, entirely without paper.
Cabinet approves ‘PM Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan’ for digital education
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved ‘Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan’ (PMGDISHA) to make 6 crore rural households digitally literate.
- The outlay for this project is Rs.2,351.38 crore to usher in digital literacy in rural India by March 2019.
- This is in line with the announcement made by Finance Minister in the Union Budget 2016-17.
- PMGDISHA is expected to be one of the largest digital literacy programmes in the world. Under the scheme, 25 lakh candidates will be trained in the FY 2016-17; 275 lakh in the FY 2017-18; and 300 lakh in the FY 2018-19.
India & Austria Signs Protocol to Amend Bilateral Taxation Treaty
- India and Austria signed a protocol to amend the existing bilateral taxation treaty for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion.
- The protocol was signed between Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) Chairman Sushil Chandra on behalf of India and Embassy of Austria Charge d’ Affaires Georg Zehetner behalf of Austria.
- The protocol will broaden the scope of the existing framework of the exchange of tax related information.
- This will help to curb tax evasion and tax avoidance between the two nations as well as enable mutual assistance in relation to collecting taxes.
- Capital and largest city -Vienna
- Official languages -Austrian German
- Currency -Euro
Parliament passes Payment of Wages Bill
- Parliament has passed the Payment of Wages Amendment Bill, 2017 to enable employers to pay wages to workers through cheque or directly crediting to their accounts.
- The bill will replace the Ordinance promulgated by the President in December 2016 to amend the Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
- It will also benefit workers by ensuring fair payment of wages through bank accounts, enhance social security and bring more workers into formal employment.
Gujarat becomes first state for establishing Cashless System for distribution of foodgrains
- Gujarat became the first state in the country for establishing Cashless System for distribution of foodgrains.
- To achieve this feat, state government has installed Aadhaar enabled payment system in more than 17 thousand 200 Fair Price Shops, before the targeted date of 31st March 2017.
World’s first Braille Atlas for visually impaired persons released in New Delhi
- The Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan released the Special Edition of “Atlas for Visually Impaired (India)” in English Braille in New Delhi.
- This Braille Atlas has been prepared by National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organisation (NATMO) under Department of S&T. It is world’s first braille atlas for the visually impaired
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
ISRO develops Telemetry and Telecommand Processor
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has indigenously developed Telemetry & Telecommand Processor (TTCP) and its productionisation will be initiated with the help of Indian industry.
- The processor development was undertaken up by ISRO as part of ‘Make in India’ campaign to replace the expensive imported equipment necessary for uplinking and downlinking to satellites.
Kerala’s Nilambur teak to get GI tag
- Kerala’s Nilambur teak known internationally for its superior timber quality and elegant appearance will be added to the list of Kerala produces with the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Lucideus wins Best IT Startup of India award
- IT risk assessment and digital security services provider Lucideus bagged the government’s ‘Best IT Startup of India’ award.
- It won the award in the IT and ITES (IT-Enabled Services) category at the National Entrepreneurship Award 2016 organised by the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Lucideus is behind the security for BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money) app, an Aadhaar-based mobile payment platform.