Daily Current Affairs 9th July, 2017
India plans to invite Leaders of ASEAN countries for 2018 Republic Day celebrations
India is planning to invite the leaders of the 10 ASEAN nations for the Republic Day parade for 2018. It has been announced on 8th of July 2017.
- It is being seen as a major step towards the government’s ‘Act East’ policy.
- It will bring together leaders from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
- This year also marks the 25th year of dialogue partnership between India and ASEAN.
- It will be the first Republic day for India where so many chief guests will be invited.
- World leaders like former US President Barack Obama, former French president François Hollande and UAE Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan have been chief guests at Republic Day celebrations in the past.
- Through ASEAN India has enhanced its maritime cooperation and realised the full potential of its ocean economy.
- India will continue to step up cooperation in countering terrorism, piracy and other transnational crimes.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations(ASEAN) is an international organization.
- On 8th August 1967, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, and the Philippines formed the ASEAN.
- Chairman: Rodrigo Duterte
- Secretary General: Le Luong Minh
Ahmedabad declared as India’s first Heritage city by UNESCO
- The 600 year old Walled City of Ahmedabad has been declared as India’s first World Heritage City.
- Delhi and Mumbai were also among the race.
- Ahmedabad’s nomination received huge support from 20 countries for the peaceful co-existence of Hindu, Islamic, Jain communities in Walled City area.
ECONOMY,BANKING AND FINANCE
India to join new Global foreign exchange committee
- India will soon get a seat on the Global Foreign Exchange Committee (GFXC), a newly-constituted forum of central bankers and experts working towards promotion of a robust and transparent forex market.
- The Financial Stability Board (FSB), an international body for global financial system, in a progress report on ‘reducing misconduct risks in the financial sector’.
- The committee was set up in London during a meeting in May 2017 of public and private sector representatives from the foreign exchange committees of 16 international forex trading centres.
Nepal SBI launches first paperless Banking services sbiINTOUCH
- Nepal SBI Bank, a subsidiary of the State Bank of India, on 8th July launched its fully automatic digital banking services sbiINTOUCH in Kathmandu.
- This is for the first time the State Bank of India has expanded the paperless banking system outside India.
- Nepal Rastra Bank Governor Chirinjibi Nepal, SBI Banks chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya and Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri, jointly inaugurated the new service in Nepal.
- It will offer customers products like Savings Bank, Saral Bachat Account and Combo Savings Account and the branch will have facilities like kiosks for account opening, debit card printing and ATM.
- The digital banking unit also has a robot, which provides important information to customers in an interactive manner.
- Under the DigiNepal SBI launches first paperless Banking services sbiINTOUCHtal Village initiative, the NSBL has adopted Jaharsing Pauwa village to provide financial literacy centres and other banking facilities to the 2,200 villagers.
President Mukherjee launched four digital initiatives over e-education
- President Pranab Mukherjee on 9th July launched digital initiatives Swayam, Swayam Prabha, National Academic Depository and National Digital Library in New Delhi to push e-education in the country.
- According to ministry of human resource development (MHRD) these initiatives will increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio in the higher education from 5 (2015-16) to 30 by 2020.
- These courses have been developed by over 1,000 expert faculty members from institutions like IITs, Delhi University and JNU.
First International Aviation Security seminar organised by National Security Guard in Haryana
- On 6th and 7th July, 2017, National Security Guard (NSG) organised First First International Aviation Security seminar organised by National Security Guard in Haryana International Aviation Security Seminar in Manesar, Haryana.
- The seminar was inaugurated by Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha on July 6, 2017, whereas Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (I/C) Rajiv Pratap Rudy attended the seminar on the second day.
- Rudy also unfurled the tricolor at the 26th highest Monumental Flagpole in the NSG campus.
First Edition of WINGS 2017 – “Sab Uden, Sab Juden”- Expanding Regional Connectivity Hosted in New Delhi
- The First edition of WINGS 2017 – “Sab Uden, Sab Juden”- Expanding Regional Connectivity was hosted in New Delhi by the Ministry of Civil Aviation. The Plenary session was chaired by the Union Minister of Civil Aviation, Shri P. Ashok Gajapathi Raju.
- This event brought together the key stakeholders of the Aviation Sector such as States, Tourism Departments, and Tour Operators as a Group representing airline consumers to facilitate interaction with various airlines, airport operators, cargo operators and other ecosystem players at a common forum.
ENVIRONMENT,SCIENCE AND TECH
India emerging as front-runner in fight against climate change: World Bank
- According to the World Bank, India is emerging as a front runner in the global fight against climate change,with a sweeping commitment to solar power, innovative solutions and energy efficiency initiatives to supply its people with 24×7 electricity by 2030.
- India is contributing to global efforts to save the planet from the effects of climate change with its conscious choice to use significantly more clean energy to fuel its growth
- World Bank said the country also walked away from plans to install nearly 14 GW of coal-fired power plants.
- The Indian government is setting ambitious targets that include 160 gigawatts (GW) of wind and solar by 2022 which will help hundreds of million people light their homes.
- With nearly 300 days of sunshine every year, India has among the best conditions in the world to capture and use solar energy.
PERSONS IN NEWS
Ranveer, Prabhas in GQ’s Most Influential Young Indians list
- Actor Ranveer Singh has featured in GQ’s Most Influential Young Indians 2017. ‘Baahubali’ actor Prabhas with other actors have featured in the Most Influential Young Indians Artistes list by GQ India magazine.
- The GQ Power List was out on 8th July.
- This year, the list includes individuals who have built companies and assembled fortunes – and none of them is older than 40.
- Some of the other names to feature in the list include Reliance business scion Akash Ambani, Lipstick Under My Burkha writer-director Alankrita Shrivastava, Amrita Pandey, vice president jof studios at Disney India, Amazon India head Nitesh Kripalani.
- It includes Young Indians from a diverse section of professions varying from business, media food and drinks, entertainment, , sports and real estate among others.
John Joseph to take charge as chief of GST intelligence agency
- John Joseph has been appointed Director General of Goods and Services Tax Intelligence (DG GSTI) on 9th of July 2017.
True Blood actor Nelsan Ellis dead at 39
- Actor Nelsan Ellis was best known for playing Lafayette Reynolds on the HBO series “True Blood,” has died at the age of 39.
Atthaya Thitikul becomes youngest Ladies European Tour winner
- Teenage Atthaya Thitikul became the youngest winner on the Ladies European Tour on 9th of July 2017.The Ladies European Tour is a professional golf tour for women.